587,421 active members*
3,090 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CNC Jamboree

Page 1 of 2 12

CNC Jamboree

Anyone interested in a whole lot of fun mixed with a little training? Attend this event and be surrounded with like minded CNC Geeks.

Topics include ...

• The Business of Carving
    • Projects That Sell ...
    • Project Set-Up and Implementation
    • EZ Paint and Finishing
    • Show and Tell
    • Building a CNC Machine ... we will be building one on site during the event .... really!

Jason Allen of heSignMill "Mobile Sign Lab" will be on display and we will demonstrate how we make Custom Carved Signs While You Wait. The Sign Mill

Michael Culp (The CNC Geek) from Dragon Works Studios will be in attendance ... not only teaching classes but Building a CNC Machine at the event ... no way .... not possible .... really? Yes Really! Then he's going to Raffle it off ...

The first ever CNC Jamboree at Long Lake Park Campground the weekend of September 28th and 29th. That is a Friday and Saturday ... training all day Friday and Saturday morning with Saturday evening being open to the public - Show and Tell ... bring your work to show off, you never know who might be there that is looking for a piece just like that.

The price of this event will be $100 for the weekend (this includes FREE patterns, all the fun you can stand, giveaways and more) - this does not include any accommodations.

www.LongLakeParkCampground.com I think I'm going to go up a few days early and do some fishing.

Visit the official website to learn more www.CncJamboree.com
    www.DigitalFabber.com www.CncJamboree.com

2012 CNC Jamboree CNC Project

This Announcement was made on the CNC Art Guild forum by Dragon Works Studio founder Michael Culp (The CNC Geek)...

Starting this year ... we will be building a CNC machine at the show. The very rough design of this years model is included here. As we refine the design we will be posting further images.

We are selling the 2012 CNC Jamboree Limited Edition design DVD now. This DVD is loaded with the plans and sources for all materials to build your own version of this machine ... it will be limited to 100 copies. As soon as the last copy is purchased we will draw from the names of the lucky purchasers to see who wins the machine that will be built at the Jamboree (this machine will have some cool features that only the Jamboree machine will have). Other Details to be posted soon.

Come and join in the building session. This will be hands on and we hope to be cutting with it before the end of the day Saturday.

The Z axis head is roughed in. It will be completely different in a couple of days. The rest of the frame will be pretty much as seen.

All parts of this machine except the motors, controllers and computer to drive it can be purchased at a local hardware store.

Read more and follow the thread HERE.

You might get a better response if you put the town, or at least the state, somewhere in your post and web site. A working link for the campground would help also.

Thank you Brian

The link to the Campground website has been fixed ... the event is in Lakeville Ohio. Welcome to Long Lake Park Campground - Long Lake Park Campground

Where is it?

Class Schedule

Friday

9:30 - 10:15 The business of carving

10:30 - 11:15 Basics of CNC -stepper/servo xyz axis controllers

11:30 - 12:45 CNC build

Lunch - $10 for lasagna

1:30 - 2:15 CarveWright Designer - Basic

2:30 - 3:15 Other CAM software - Mach 3, Linux CNC, cam bam, USB CNC

3:30 - 4:15 Art Creation Software - illustrator, Photoshop, gimp, Inkscape, moi, blender, etc

4:30 - 5:15 Follow up or continuation of earlier session

Saturday

9:30 - 10:15 CNC Build continued

10:30 - 11:15 Carvewright Designer - Advanced

11:30 - 12:45 Products that sell - etsy, eBay, Craigslist, crafts faires, payments PayPal square

Lunch - potluck we will supply hotdogs and a bonfire

1:30 - 4:00 Q&A public show

Complete CNC build

Carving demos - CarveWright and others

Attendee Show and Tell

Can you register at the event?

I don't use my credit card for paypal (burned once). I am interested in attending, if I can pay at the door or some other method? One other question... Is the person from Liquid Guitars going to be attending?

Regards
    Mark

Payment

Mark,

You can mail a check to the address on the contact page or pay cash at the door ... there is some advantage to paying in advance. Please contact me via telephone for any other questions.

As far as Brandon MacDougall from Liquid Guitars being in attendance that is still in conversation ... may depend on attendance.

CNC Jamboree

I'm going how about you?

After speaking with Jason about the CNC Jamboree I've decided to attend, and bring a friend also!. I hope Brandon MacDougall of Liquid Guitars can attend as I have some ideas and questions I would like to run by him. I also have some nice 2d patterns and prior carving work I'm bringing along to show and share. Sounds like they will have decent attendance and lots of useful seminars, with plenty of artists/artisans to share, learn and network with. I look forward to attending.

Cheers,
    Mark

Bump

Bump

It sure does sound like it will be very educational and an excellent time!
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Bump

Reason for bump: this thread actually relates to a real CNC trade-show or event. Most other recent posts are simply spam for Chinese laser re-sellers, software peddlers and other digital riff-Raff. Why don't they pay for advertising instead of spamming every forum with broken English sales pitches for mostly inferior cheaply made products easily found on ebay.

Regards,
    Mark

Here's the poster for the event. If you have a place you think it should be posted either online or in a store or groups window please pass it on. We want this to be an great event for all!

http://cncjamboree.com

Thank you for the bump Mark ... we are looking forward to meeting you and sharing all the knowledge that we can. This is partially about 2 days of learning ... but it is more about forging friendships and working relationships.

Updated Class Schedule

Please visit our website and check the updated schedule ...

Class Schedule

Class Schedule

Friday, September 28th, 2012

9:30 - 11:00

CNC Overview - Components in a CNC System, Options and build considerations, Drive types, stepper motor basics, spindle Options, software. Bit selection, work holding basic
    Presented by: Wayne Sutter, President of Woodline.com

11:15 - 12:00

CarveWright Designer 101
    Tips and Tricks for great results
    Presented by: Joe Lovchick, CarveWright

Physical Build
    material selection, alternative, motor selection
    Presented by: Wayne Sutter, Woodline USA

12:15 - 1:00

Art Creation Software
    illustrator, Photoshop, Gimp, Inkscape, MOI, Blender, Aspire ... etc
    Presented by: Michael Culp, Dragon Works Studio

Electronic Assembly
    Motor wiring, electronics interconnect, parallel versus USB, power supplies. Good wiring practice. Electronic Noise isolation. Active Low signals.

1:15 - 2:00

LUNCH

2:15 - 3:00

Begin Mini CNC Build
    Come and join in the building session. This will be hands on and we hope to be cutting with it before the end of the day Saturday.
    All parts of this machine except the motors, controllers and computer to drive it can be purchased at a local hardware store.

Mach 3 - Basic
    Creating an XML file, Kernal speed, ports and pins, input switches and emergency switches, motor tuning. Axis slaving. Recommended for all users.

3:15 - 4:00

CarveWright Designer 201
    Tips and Tricks for great results

Mach 3 - Intermediate
    Spindle configuration, mach 3 options, probe input. homing and limit setting. Using Mach 3 to control external relays

4:15 - 5:00

CarveWright - Import & Export
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    Pattern Editor and Scanning Probe
    Jpeg, Png, importing images

Mach 3 - Advanced
    Mach 3 screen customization, plug in, diagnostic troubleshooting, homing and limit setting. Fixtures and offsets. Using Mach 3 to control external relays

5:15 - 6:00
    Follow-Up and Q&A from Earlier Classes
    Time with all of the presenters ... machine demos and "The Mobile Sign Lab" by The Sign Mill

Saturday, September 29th, 2012

9:30 - 10:15

CNC Build Continued

G Code - Basic & Intermediate
    10 most frequently used G codes and how to use them, initiation, setup, modality
    Subroutines, offsets, programming strategies

10:30 - 11:15

CarveWright Modeling & Drawing 101
    Use of the 2D and 3D tools

G Code - Advanced
    introduction to variable programming, conditional statements, arithmetic functions. For serious users that want to learn in depth. Not required for users of CAM systems that do not plan to write programs.

11:30 - 12:15

CarveWright Modeling & Drawing 201
    Use of the 2D and 3D tools

Work Holding & Cutting Strategies
    Mechanical work holding, Build a universal vacuum jig. Use of tabs and bridges.

12:30 - 1:15

LUNCH

1:30 - 3:00

Closing Presentation title – Pushing the limit switches, and other ways to enjoy your CNC.
    Randy will present an inspirational overview of his favorite tips, tricks and techniques for getting the most from your small shop CNC including texturing, two-sided carving, working with small parts and creating complex designs using simple design techniques.
    Presented by: Randy Johnson, American Woodworker Magazine

3:15 - 5:15

• Question & Answer
    • Public Show
    • Complete CNC Build
    • Carving Demos by CarveWright & Others
    • Attendee Show & Tell
    • Time with all of the presenters ... machine demos and "The Mobile Sign Lab" by The Sign Mill
    • Products That Sell ... Signs, Games & Other Stuff
    • Etsy, eBay, Craigslist, Flea Markets, Crafts Fairs, PayPal Here, Square
    • Presented by: Jason Allen, Founder of CNC Art Guild
    • The Business of Carving
    • EZ Paint and Finishing

All of the presentation materials: Power Point Presentaions, PDF files of presenters notes, schematics, etc ... will be available for download to the event attendees after the event.

We will also be doing an Instructable on Instructables.com as the event happens and blogging on Makezine.com ... please be sure to bring your projects to share and show off. You never know where pics of them might end up.

We will have a photographer or 2 or 3 an attendance to capture the memories and moments that we don't want to miss.

Presenter Bio for Wayne Sutter

Wayne Sutter, President of Woodline.com

Wayne Sutter, President of Woodline USA , a premier router bit company based in Lavergne Tennessee, is a long time CNC enthusiast. Wayne started with CNC in 1995 when he got his first machine. He has had 6 large machines and several small ones over the years. Wayne has manufactured hundreds of thousands of parts by CNC and knows how to build, program and service CNC machines of all types.

Wayne is a former medical electronics engineer, college instructor for engineering and manufacturing systems and life long passionate woodworker. He has attended 381 wood working shows and demonstrated everything from router bits to CNC machines. He is an entertaining and educational speaker who loves to share his passion with others.

As a self described "CNC geek" Wayne designs, builds and operates all types of CNC equipment for woodworking and specialized automation. He recently completed a versatile 5’ x 5’ CNC machine that will do almost anything. He is bringing it to the Jamboree and will share his schematics, drawings, sources, as well as insights and experience in a fun and informative way.

We have Wayne scheduled for 10 hours of interactive demonstrations and presentations on all phases of CNC from overview, building a first class machine, Mach3 setup and control and everything from basic introduction to the intimate details of G code.

Presenter Bio for Randy Johnson

Randy Johnson, Editor-In-Chief of American Woodworker magazine

Randy is currently Editor in Chief for American Woodworker and Woodwork magazines, where he has worked as an editor for the past 11 years. Prior to becoming an editor Randy ran his own custom furniture business. Randy got his start in woodworking as a boy in his Dad’s workshop in rural western Wisconsin using mostly lumber they harvested from their own land. Randy’s first job out of college was teaching woodshop for a junior high school in the U.S. Virgin Islands—where oak were considered exotic and the shop’s workbenches harbored a thriving colony of termites. Randy received his M.A. degree in Industrial Technology Education from Appalachian State University with an emphasis in furniture construction and design. For his thesis project he build a Boston Bombe chest, using mostly hand tools. About five years ago Randy started exploring CNC woodworking and currently writes a regular article forAmerican Woodworker called “CNC Workshop” where he explores the creative possibilities of CNCs. Highlights from some of his articles (including some CNC project plans) can be found on his blog at www.AmericanWoodworker.com/CNC.

Presentation title – Pushing the limit switches, and other ways to enjoy your CNC.

Randy will present an inspirational overview of his favorite tips, tricks and techniques for getting the most from your small shop CNC including texturing, two-sided carving, working with small parts and creating complex designs using simple design techniques.

Presenter Bio for Michael K. Culp

Michael Culp, Founder of DragonWorksStudio / Technologies Coordinator at the University of Kentucky

Michael K. Culp is employed by the University of Kentucky and holds the position of Technology Coordinator with the College of Design. The creative drive behind DragonWorks Studio; Michael is a dedicated husband and father of three. He takes pride in being a former Boy Scout turned pack leader and once held the title of Training Commissioner with the Boy Scouts of America, experiences which ultimately inspired a love of working with his hands and helping others achieve their goals.

A virtual collector of professions, Michael has worked as a programmer, technical service manager, sound-man, band manager, promoter, studio designer, prepress graphics engineer, art director, pizza driver, and even a furniture mover. A lover of anything geeky or computer related he has repaired, moved, or owned about every personal computer ever made. Michael’s varying experiences have yielded a extensive knowledge of graphic programs, operating systems. This knowledge has thus provided the unique opportunity to educate both small and large classes in the proper use of such applications.

Michael spends his copious free time redesigning the very idea of the CNC machine, reworking tool jigs for woodworking, and attempting to design a laser powered mousetrap to decimate the uncatchable smart pants mouse with which his family shares their home in Georgetown Kentucky. He has completed three working CNC machines and currently is working on what he lovingly deems as the- insert favorite eighties horror movie tune here- Apocalypse CNC. Michael claims that the idea behind the Apocalypse CNC machine is that it can be made completely with standard hardware store components found in your local area.

The future looks bright for Michael and DragonWorks Studio as the search continues for a permanent location to open shop doors with the public in mind. The idea is to provide the tools, facilities, CNC technology, and educators in the fields of design, art, and craft to people of all ages and backgrounds.

DragonWorks Studio is dedicated to making dream projects a reality for everyone.

Over the two-day event Michael will be teaching a hands on class designed to educate and inspire the building of your own CNC machine from parts and supplies purchased at a local hardware store.

Patterns, plans and instructions for the CNC machine will be available for purchase at the Jamboree, as well as, a chance to take the machine built during the Jamboree home.

* The parts for this CNC can either be created by hand with either common hand tools or using a small CNC machine such as the CarveWright ©.

Presenter Bio for Jason Allen

Jason Allen, Founder of the CNC Art Guild / Owner of The Sign Mill

Jason Allen has fulfilled his father’s lifelong dream of having his own woodshop and business. In a small shop in Lexington, Kentucky, USA, Jason is finding his dreams coming true, as well.

Written by: Connie Ratisseau

Of his CarveWright machine Jason says, “Without this little machine, my life would not be the way it is now and it is pretty good!”

I had the pleasure of meeting Jason Allen at my first Woodworking Show in St. Louis (Collinsville). What struck me most was his enthusiasm and energy. His passion for what he was doing and excitement for the world of CNC was infectious not just to me, but for everyone fortunate enough to speak with him as they came into our booth that weekend. The record number of machines we sold that weekend has not been broken.

Researching Jason’s website Coming Soon - Future home of something quite cool (now The Sign Mill), I was profoundly struck again by his character that shines through his website. I was reminded of the Girl Scout Promise that I took years ago. “On my honor, I will try: to serve God, my country and to help people at all times…” That is Jason Allen. On Spirituality, Jason professes, “I am not a Sunday Christian. I am, however, a believer…(that realizes)…when I stop being selfish and start listening to what God is telling me. I get rewarded.” His rewards are abounding by his company that is finally flourishing and he attributes some of that success to his CarveWright. “Without this little machine, my life would not be the way it is now and it is good!”

Jason purchased his first Hobbyist CNC machine about 4 years ago. “I researched the machine for a year (before purchasing) and I wish I hadn’t lost that time.” Jason is currently looking for a home for his multiple CNCs, a retail space that he will call the Carved Sign factory (more on that later). Since his father’s death seven years ago this past May, Jason has been busy realizing his father’s dream to have his own Woodshop. Left with his tools and a lifelong exposure to woodworking and metal machining, he built The LittleRedWoodshop in Illinois and has used its success as a launching point.

“That’s the beauty of it (CarveWright – hobbyist CNCs). Regular Joe’s like me from a variety of backgrounds can use it.” Jason claims to have “inherited his (fathers) tools, but not his talent.” One look at his work and it is obvious Jason has found his talent. Jason creates beautiful lithopanes (Greek word meaning “light in stone”) from Corian. His “Jesus Wept” and “Whole World in His Hands” Lithopanes cannot be appreciated in a photograph as they are in person with the light shining from behind his carvings. Jason considers himself to still be practicing. “I thrive on reactions…I always get a WOW. And that WOW is what keeps me working towards perfection.”

Jason is not just a CarveWright user; he was the leader in forming the new CNC Art Guild; an idea that began on the CarveWright User’s Forum and within weeks became a reality. The CNC Art Guild (CNC Art Guild) at printing time has over 500 members all over the United States and in multiple countries, of individuals that have an interest in sharing ideas and information with fellow CNC Artists and Users. “That’s the beauty of it (CarveWright). Regular Joe’s like me from a variety of backgrounds can use it.” Of the CNC Art Industry, Jason states, “it is a totally new industry waiting to blossom and explode.” At his shop, Jason also creates signs many of which have a military theme. An ex-member of the US Army Medical Corps and coming from a long line of military family members, Jason’s patriotism is evident from his website.

After seeing one of his military signs, Jason was asked to participate in a memorial to fallen war hero and Medal of Honor recipient, Cpl. Jason L. Dunham. Read more about the Cpl. Jason L. Dunham at memorial at his website.

Page 1 of 2 12