587,945 active members*
3,412 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

I'm a new convert

I configed my computer (P3-866) which runs the small 4 axis with Mach3 (set for 25,000 pulses) with some of the settings from Turbocnc
    The mm per step setting I used to convert to steps per unit; which was painless for sure
    I ran the same program I ran last night; a tapered sided 10mm sq with 7mm bottom 4 mm deep; filleted corners which changed frm 2mm top to 1.75mm bottom
    The run last night would hesitate at the fillets and once finished the pocket measured 9.65 sq at the top

Tonight with Mach3; it never stopped untill the cut finished; the top measured 10mm exactly; it also was way smoother; the 200mm/min feed was about as fast as i would want to run with a 1/16" 2 flute in Corian (I use Corian offcuts for testing)

I'm one very satified customer; it was worth the price of the Key to open up the software for sure; my programs will be over 1000 lines almost every time I'll run it
    If you have been mulling over paying the price to get your key; stop and go for it

Oh yes, I remember when I switched over from turbocnc, I had almost the same experience you did(not sure about the tollerance issue though)

The demo version of mach2 I think if I remember had more to it that didnt work completely. I have yet to fully switch over to mach3 on my mill.

I definately agree, mach software is MUCH smoother than turbocnc, I was actually able to crank up my rapids a little because of it.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JFettig
    Oh yes, I remember when I switched over from turbocnc, I had almost the same experience you did(not sure about the tollerance issue though)

The demo version of mach2 I think if I remember had more to it that didnt work completely. I have yet to fully switch over to mach3 on my mill.

I definately agree, mach software is MUCH smoother than turbocnc, I was actually able to crank up my rapids a little because of it.

Jon
    Jon What can we do to help you set up Mach3? IF you need help with something I would be glad to help you as much as I can! I don't know it all but I have messed it all up ...
    Look forward!
    Brian

I had one small problem with my A axis; it would move Y when I MDI or jogged; Art said if the DRO is not showing movement; then it's not a Mach3 problem
    I was about to make a whole new connection cable when i notice I'd pulled one connection down onto the A axis motor wire with something I'd stored under the bench; I moved this; it cleared the Y movement
    My A axis is very smooth; I have madea few more complex parts now; the Mach3 install is perfect and much smoother than Turbocnc

Gawd I just did the same, what a difference in the performance of my Taig, with a Xylotec controller. Just added the Xylotex.xml off the Yahoo files site and was off and running. The top speed is most definetly higher. I still need to do the motor tune and test regime but I am well inpressed with Mach3 with a key!

Barker, the main problem I have had is that my computer was crapping out on me, and it is a little slow for mach3. I have everything configured no problem, just weird things started to happen when my hard drive was dieing. I have been at college and had no chance to get around to fixing the problem, this weekend I plan on installing mach3 on my extra laptop and seeing if that thing can run it(runs mach2 no problem)

Thanks,
    Jon

Barker, the main problem I have had is that my computer was crapping out on me, and it is a little slow for mach3. I have everything configured no problem, just weird things started to happen when my hard drive was dieing. I have been at college and had no chance to get around to fixing the problem, this weekend I plan on installing mach3 on my extra laptop and seeing if that thing can run it(runs mach2 no problem)

Thanks,
    Jon
    Sorry about that just wanted to give you a hand if you were having som trouble But it sounds like you are right on top of it!

Keep up the good work
    Brian

No prob, no doubt I will have troubles when I get closer with doing other stuff.

Do you by chance know if I can get the old mach2/3 skin back on? I dont like the big ugly bubbly one.

Jon

Mach3 in action; here is a Yamato class turret from the battleship; programmed in 1/350th scale; about 2" long
    The code for this finish cut (just starting it) was 50,000 lines
    Ran 8 1/2 hours unattended; I went to bed after the first 6000 lines
    I used a 1/4" ball to rough followed be a 1/8" ball to semi finish; a planer cut to clean the 2 flat areas; the part is held with 2 5mm caps to another 1/2" thick piece of the green Corian; the stock was almost the same size; I just pulled off the scrap after it cut through
    Corian is nice to machine (use solid carbide cutters)
    I get it free from the local kitchen counter place; just ask for scraps too small to use; saves throwing it away
    The 6,000 line 1/4" cut took 45mins; the first semi finish cut took 1 1/2 hour and was 14,000 lines; the planer took about 4 mins

I love Mach3; no really; love it

It opens up a whole new set of possiblites for me

No prob, no doubt I will have troubles when I get closer with doing other stuff.

Do you by chance know if I can get the old mach2/3 skin back on? I dont like the big ugly bubbly one.

Jon
    Art didn't save it because he didn't like the old one... He wanted to have everyone on the new one... I think it is a support thing. I would give it to you if I had it.

Sorry
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie
    Corian is nice to machine (use solid carbide cutters)

If you don't mind the smell.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

pour Varsol on it
    Keeps the dust down LOL