587,243 active members*
3,314 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

unwanted z moves

I have draw this using the copy command. I cant produce a gcode that does not move up and down after each entity . Still with ver.21. I have tried clean up and optimize, does not work better .I saw in vetric a weld command , does v.21 have a way to fix this?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I took a look at your dxf. BCC is going to create the g-code as selected. You can do some extra work and place .005 fillets between the loops then go back and machine the hatch lines.

You can also take another route and create geometry that will zig/zag but you will still have to go back to do some of the missed loops.

When the software gets to the end of a loop or cross line it will retract the tool because there isn't a full chain of flowing entities.

I would modify the geometry if your making a lot of these or just let it do what it is doing if your only making one.

Sorry for not being of much help.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

You can Ctrl-Select all the diagonals and press A to move them to an invisible layer (blanked).

Then chain select the inner and outer chains for machining.Then unblank the blanked entities and machine those.

Not the most elegant solution but very quick.

good luck,
    moldmker

Cool more unwanted moves

I have tried your suggestion , but the z move on every arc.
    So I deleted all the arcs but one that was use to copy a serie again (using .84 value that I got with dimension and point at end of entity)
    Re-done the code and it still move Z at every arc. Wonder if its not a tolerance or dimension value not precise enough to make the serie of arcs a flowing chain of entites, as I cant chain select them...

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Boudreau View Post
    I have tried your suggestion , but the z move on every arc.
    So I deleted all the arcs but one that was use to copy a serie again (using .84 value that I got with dimension and point at end of entity)
    Re-done the code and it still move Z at every arc. Wonder if its not a tolerance or dimension value not precise enough to make the serie of arcs a flowing chain of entites, as I cant chain select them...
    If this bothers you that much change your Z returns to .025 and then post the program. It will reduce the amount of air cutting but not completely.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

On the CAD side, look under File > Environment > General > Chain Gap value.

With mine set at .001", it chains good. (General accuracy = .0001")

moldmker

Look at Molds last reply. This may help. If you zoom in on all your arcs you see this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rope test2-2009-03-17-17-29-23.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	77922

You can either connect everything or set the tolerance for chaining down to get a single pick or contour.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Look at Molds last reply. This may help. If you zoom in on all your arcs you see this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rope test2-2009-03-17-17-29-23.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	77922

You can either connect everything or set the tolerance for chaining down to get a single pick or contour.
    Thanks chain gap setting did it . No more unwanted Z moves!
    I am making MDF doors with these and it was taking me forever.
    Chain gap was set to .00001 when I was trying to get rid of crop circles...

If you don't want the tool to pick up from one arc to the other, just group them. What I mean is use your contour feature to group / weld / or what ever you want to call it.

When you select the contour for profile machining, the tool will stay in the part till it get to the end of the contour.

I have attached a V23 file where I have done this. Try it and let me know if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen123 View Post
    If you don't want the tool to pick up from one arc to the other, just group them. What I mean is use your contour feature to group / weld / or what ever you want to call it.

When you select the contour for profile machining, the tool will stay in the part till it get to the end of the contour.

I have attached a V23 file where I have done this. Try it and let me know if it helps.
    I am still with ver.21, so I cant use the extension you posted.

V21 ok what you need to do is select the outside profiles of the ropes as a chain.

If you select them as a chain the tool will not go up and down to cut them.

What selection method are your using?

Are you doing a cut auto or a machine all?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Allen123 View Post
    V21 ok what you need to do is select the outside profiles of the ropes as a chain.

If you select them as a chain the tool will not go up and down to cut them.

What selection method are your using?

Are you doing a cut auto or a machine all?
    My problem in drawing these was I use the dimension option to measure the arc (value of .84) but when I check it with verify I have .8397 giving me a .0003 gap . My gap setting was set to .00001 making it impossible to chain select them.

I always use autocut what is the difference in machine all?

machine all cuts everything on the drawing with no control and the tool goes up and down a lot.

Machine auto is for cutting chains.