587,098 active members*
6,300 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Looks like a major issue with centurion 4 controller

Looks like a major issue with centurion 4 controller

Worked when picked up. Power is looking good (3 phase) to L1, L2, L3. However, nothing happening controller wise. No display. Even after waiting (thinking display went out) drives do not power up when "reset" is pushed. Called Milltronics, will we checking power in (110V) and 4 outputs on the power supply to the controller. Hopefully something simple. I cant find any loose, busted, or fallen off wires/connectors.

Ill post up what I find power supply wise tommorrow. Meantime, or afterwards, and ideas/thoughts on other things to check, or possibly parts that would have gone bad in transporting. Machine ran when we picked it up just fine.

Have you checked all the fuses with an ohm meter? Do any of the led's on the boards light up?
    Dave
    Schneider Machine
    A force of one

Here's the deal:
    Checked every fuse I could find, checked power outputs for the controller (DV, 24V, 5V, 12v, -5V) Everything we checked was fine. However, there are several green LED's back in there, labels of CR1A, CR2, CR3, etc. I had all but 4-6 lit up (varied a little) Took the controller board off the back dorr of the machine, took the small board off the big board. Disconnected the (ALL TIGHT) screw on connection, and clip in ribbon connections. Plugged it all back it. Powered the machine up, had 4 LED lit (fewest number yet) and controller was on. Ive only gone into JOG, CW, CCW on spindle, homed(grid) machine, and MDI for some simple moves. Everything so far is now working. So apparently one or several of the pins in those ribbons was not making a good connection, and now it is. Like owning the Dodge that brought it here. No communication with the computer, truck wont run. Unplug computer, replug, and fine since.

Hopefully this info helps someone down the line with these machines!

BTW, Ill be interested if anyone has functional cent 4 controllers to purchase. A whole complete spare has to be a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1 View Post
    Have you checked all the fuses with an ohm meter? Do any of the led's on the boards light up?
    Dave

Did you know that if you open up the front control panel box , you can just pull the VGA plug on the monitor , and plug it into any old monitor and then plug that into the wall outlet . at least that is a quick way to check if you are getting power to the monitor .
    I had the monitors burn out on 2 cent 5's , and just bought a 12" plasma , and made am alum box that mounts on the front of the panel . Kinda hard to get monitors this small , but TigerDirect had em on sale for $99 .
    not sure why you cant get a reset though . I thought I had a blown power supply to the back CPU box, put in a new one with no results . Found out there is a TRIPP power conditioner box that feeds the monitor and CPU box that was blown . look in the back
    left side , above the Vari freq box for a TRIPP box that has 2 120v outlets coming out .
    if you pull these out , you can just plug them into a 120 v extension cord to see if that box is blown . I think on the newer controls they eliminated this box . It is just there to stabilize the 120v input , in case of power surges . ( but maybe thats a good thing !)

Centurion IV's do not use a VGA plug. They started using them on the Centurion 5.

Watch Ebay auctions for a control. I picked one up for four hundred bones. Haven't had to use much off the spare but it's certainly nice to have just in case. If you need a list of
    parameters for the Centurion IV, I can fax to you.

Good luck
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Colby View Post
    Watch Ebay auctions for a control. I picked one up for four hundred bones. Haven't had to use much off the spare but it's certainly nice to have just in case. If you need a list of
    parameters for the Centurion IV, I can fax to you.

Good luck
    Ben
    ben,

can you please email or fax a copy of the parameters to me.

my backup battery has die, i lost my parameters and need a copy.

thanking you in advance

[email protected]

1-937-322-1035 fax

I faxed and emailed you the parameters for the Centurion IV. I don't know the configuration of your machine but they should get you started. Once you get the machine like you want it, backup the parameters. To backup on pc push Write Tape
    (button) type 97 then enter(button) if you have a data cartridge push Write tape
    (button) then type 98 then enter(button).
    Don't be afraid to ask more ?'s.

Good luck
    Ben

Since were talking about some vintage Cent 4 issues..... Batteries can be purchased from a company called McMaster Carr for about $18.00 (3.6volt "D" size, p/n 6951K12). The small relay's with the LED lights are a little more dificult to find, I'll dig that info up and let everyone know where to get them.

I have an issue with my machine as well. Partner 5 with Cent. 4 control and a DNC box. When I send a program to the DNC box it scrambles the monitor and the data that is loaded is not even close to what was dumped from the computer. Any ideas???????
    Can be emailed with my standard email account.
    [email protected]

Any help would be appreciated.
    Jeff

could you email a copy of parameters to me? Thanks

Just emailed you the parameters. Let me know if they were of help.

ben

I got them and input them. everthing seems ok but i need to figure out how to input ballscrew comp parameters.
    thanks