587,762 active members*
3,375 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > x2 potentiometer possibly bad, help

x2 potentiometer possibly bad, help

so we are playing with an x2 and about 1/10 the time it runs fine, but then it kinda freaks out runs at full speed and blows a fuse. We are guessing that the speed potentiometer is bad and needs to be replaced. that is simple enough but what i'm not 100% sure on is what to replace it with. at littlemachine shop they have 4.7K pots for it
    http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=1282
    and then i saw this guy running a 10K pot
    http://www.stellar-international.com/lathe.html
    granted it is on a lathe but made me think since i am replacing it should i use a different potentiometer or one that would work better?

thanks all

X2 motor control repair

Check out this website for all you need to know about the motor control on mini mills and lathes.

hope it helps you solve your problem
    gerald

http://www.unclerabid.com/

is that spam because i didn't see anything there on what pot to use other than send him your stuff and a bunch of $$$ and he will replace a $2 pot for you. I can do it myself i am just looking for a bit of info on it that i am not finding.

now if that info is on that site please link to it because i couldn't find anything there except SPAM

Unless you have a full circuit diagram so we can see how it is being used, you should only use components of the same value.
    Potentiometers come in logrithmic and analog as well as differing wattage There are Carbon and wire wound as well but wire wound are normally low resistance pots.
    You should examine the existing one and replace with the same.
    Paul

paulC: thanks for the info, it is a stock x2 so i will put a new 4.7K pot in it myself.

thanks all

Thumbs up no spam but........

Well I didn't actually visit the site recently but I had it bookmarked cause he did have a great troubleshooting guide posted for these motor controls. If you found nothing helpful there I guess he took it down,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bad for biz I guess. I will look around my hard driver and see if I saved a copy that I can email you.

Sorry wasn't more helpful

X2

I have sent you a private message ...........please read.

tnx
    gerald

no problem, i know that the pot is bad, i put it on my fluke and got some really bad readings off of it. anyway didn't mean to jump on you if it isn't your site, i just hate spam. if replacing the pot doesn't work 100% i'll shoot a msg back at you to see what else it might be.

thanks for the help all.

Red face

Well no schematic that I could find but an excellent poiny by point troubleshooting guide to the motor control. I that I had a diagram as well but cannot find right now. My folder system on the HD is no more organized than the mess's I call work areas. I feel better when I am surrounded by piles of stuff!

Red face

Well no schematic that I could find but an excellent point by point troubleshooting guide to the motor control. I that I had a diagram as well but cannot find right now. My folder system on the HD is no more organized than the mess's I call work areas. I feel better when I am surrounded by piles of stuff!