587,905 active members*
2,873 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Tutorials > V22 Cutting a premade part

V22 Cutting a premade part

I have a file which was originally created in SolidWorks and then imported to BobCAD. It's a 3d part, and I want to mill out the upper half separate from the bottom half. This is my first time using BobCAD (and any CAM/CAD software, for that matter), so I can't seem to figure out how to slice this thing in half. So far, I've got a plane going through the part where I want it to be sliced, but I don't know how to get it to interact with the smooth surface on the rest of the part. Any ideas?

Thanks!

You may want to try the break surface command. Since you already have the plane splitting it in half, you would use the surface intersection curve to give it a breaking line, then use break surface to break the surface of the model at the point where the plane meets that part.

Sorry for the delayed response. I don't see a break surface command? Just screen, angle, entity, many, and divide. And none of them seem to do anything..

Quote Originally Posted by jhong View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response. I don't see a break surface command? Just screen, angle, entity, many, and divide. And none of them seem to do anything..
    Look to the very bottom of the utilities menu. Watch the lower left while in the command to follow the steps.

The bottom of utilities is "Deform." Perhaps I do not have an appropriate version of BobCAD? Sorry if I seem to be missing a few screws haha

It's been along time since I had V22 loaded. Maybe it didnt have the command yet? Be sure you are running build 1137. Go to help-About BobCad to verify this.

If V22 didnt have Break surface, there may be other ways. Can you post the model here?

So there is definitely no break surface in the version I have. However, I did finally manage to cut the part in half, using a basic cube over the part I wanted to keep and solid-boolean intersect. It was messy and took a while, but it worked.

Thanks for the help, guys!