587,669 active members*
3,329 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > 50 Year Old Sentimental Utility Trailer

50 Year Old Sentimental Utility Trailer

Hello all.
    I'm looking for some advice.
    About 50 years ago, my father built a little utility trailer with his father. My grandfather helped found a steel supply and machine shop in Odessa Texas. This little trailer has been in our family for years, but is on its last legs. We've had it painted a few times and had the lip replaced, but the undercarriage has definitely gone kaput.

I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction but I know this is a shot in the dark.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y86...ler%20Project/

I'd like to get a completely new undercarriage, assembly, axle system. But I know nothing about trailers or metalworking and whether or not all these parts were custom made way back when or whether there's a kit that could be bought that someone could put on.

In these pictures, you'll see the main culprit of the problem. The "slats" of layered steel that act as shocks and are bolted to the frame are corroded, broken and the broken pieces have slipped out of alignment from years of road-wear.

What would you all recommend?
    Thanks in advance.

Definitely worth saving!

I think that is one cool looking little trailer. Is the box portion stainless steel?

I agree, from the pictures, the undercarriage does not look road-worthy. I would suggest you stop by a couple small welding shops with those pictures in hand, and see what they say. Craigslist might have some ads in the services section for people that do repair work like this. I am guessing a trailer shop is just going to try and sell you a new one, but I could be wrong.

As far as replacement parts, a google search came up with this: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0531_200330531

Sure, you could buy a new one, but your father and grandfather didn't build one of those!

Post some pics if you do end up rebuilding it.

BTW, where in the USA are you located?

Here is a site with lots of trailer parts. Maybe this will give you some ideas.
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...ry_6970_166839

It looks as if someone cut a full leaf spring in half. I have not seen a design like that.
    As another thought check with a semi repair shop and quizz them as to where they get their springs bent up.

Leaf Spring

Knew I came to the right place.
    Yes, those are leaf springs.
    I didn't know what they were called, but went and read up on Wikipedia and that's what they are.

I have no idea if grandad made them himself or if he bought them. I wouldn't be surprised if he built the whole thing, including the axle, from steel.

This is grandad's old shop. (he's far left in Photo)
    http://www.westerntankco.com/
    I spoke with my Uncle Denny, my dad's cousin and he's going to help me out.

Thanks for the posts! I'm getting educated slowly but surely.
    I'm great at software, but dumb at anything involving stuff like this!

Arrow Trailer Springs

Quote Originally Posted by wilto01 View Post

The "slats" of layered steel that act as shocks and are bolted to the frame are corroded and dangerously slipped out of alignment.

What would you all recommend?
    Thanks in advance.
    Those "slats" pictured are quarter eliptical springs.
    They have been used in the past on some road vehicles, race cars, hot rods etc.
    Certain of models of Jeeps used them as well.

A google search will get results for the above term.

A spring repair shop (for truck/trailers) could fix the pictured one that has the main leaf broken.

The previous replies show sources for complete frame/spring/axle kits.
    There are many available that could replace the complete old system if you choose that route.

Those suspensions with short springs were used quite a bit on early snowmobile trailers. Also on light trailers for garden roto-tillers and snow blowers. I saw a home made trailer like that behind a motorcycle.

The suspensions were available as "kits".

Dick Z
    DZASTR

That's not worn out, just "weathered". As previously mentioned any truck leaf spring house can re arch and or replace the leaf springs. Everything will look much better after sand blasting. The only thing that could be serious is a cracked axle or ruined surfaces where the wheel bearings slide on. Also you want to have someone take a look at the wheel bearings. Small trailer wheels are hard on bearings if operated at highway speeds.

Vern

I worked at a marine dealership and have seen quite a few of these half springs on new trailers for small boats. In fact they may still be available.

This would be a simple fix however using a new torsion axle that bolts right to the bottom of the frame. May have to weld in a couple of mounting plates to the frame though.

Also, it looks like there is an alignment problem judging from the tire wear so I would be inclined to ditch the original fabricated axle. It may be rusting out from the inside and will probably break soon at the springs.

Any competent trailer mechanic could have this back on the road again in a day, I could.

Good Luck,
    Fatboy