587,240 active members*
3,069 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > the probe is one of the best investments ever made

the probe is one of the best investments ever made

This probe on the Haas is well what can I say" How did I ever live with out it?"

I have some 38" rings tapered I am running in my 40x20 fadal and some 24" dia in the haas the fadal takes about 4 hours per set-up, the haas takes about 10 mins too bad I only have one ring that will fit the VF2 I have 5 for the darn fadal LOL

has anyone ever put a probe on the fadal, I am going to call renishaw in the morning and see about and upgrade for it, its either that or sell the fadal and get a vf3ss haas but I dont really want another machine right now.

Delw

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    This probe on the Haas is well what can I say" How did I ever live with out it?"

I have some 38" rings tapered I am running in my 40x20 fadal and some 24" dia in the haas the fadal takes about 4 hours per set-up, the haas takes about 10 mins too bad I only have one ring that will fit the VF2 I have 5 for the darn fadal LOL

has anyone ever put a probe on the fadal, I am going to call renishaw in the morning and see about and upgrade for it, its either that or sell the fadal and get a vf3ss haas but I dont really want another machine right now.

Delw

How much are other machine builder charging for their probe package these days? A few years ago I think other builders were charging 2 to 3 times what Haas was charging for the probe package.

You might be interested in this if you get a Renishaw Probe.
    http://cncwrite.com/cmm.php

you may not need to buy a complete package. See how much a probe reciever would cost on your fadal. Does your fadal have macros? You already have a probe, and all of the renishaw macro programs.

We are in the the process of adding a spindle & tool probe to a older Haas VF3. we have buy the whole system. about 7-8K. Renishaw OMP40 & TS27R

I just did some internal training for back-up operators, some have no probing experience. They all were amazed how quickly you can pick up datums. Still got the guys not wanting to trust anything but and indicator. Like anything new some folks take to it sooner than others.

Thanks for sharing that. We are looking at a new Haas and a probe is one option I will add. Heard it's a must have from a lot of guys.

Don
    Still working in the "D".

if you do alot of one piece uncoventional set-ups its worth its weight in gold.
    like rings with bores finished and the ods not finished.

One thing I found and maybe some guys can answer this is that, I take a finished bore lets say .625 dia. put the part in the vice get it close then run the probe macro. it finds center in the part changes offsets automatically for you. however on a small bore 1" and under if your not almost perfectly on center with the probe for start your hitting the sides of the bore not square.
    while it should be ok I have noticed that after I do the 1st center finding macro , I do a second one( just run it again) and the offsets change a tad like .002 max run it again and its fine. Now I just automatically run the macro twice.

has anyone had this problem with small bores? your first probing not coming out correctly run again and it changes the fixture offset numbers slightly?

again I only notice this on small bores and when I am quite a bit off center on initial location.

Delw

I've noticed that it will change a couple of 10ths but not anywhere near .002.
    While the manual says the probe tip can be off quite a bit in run out, a few guys here (on CNCZone) have convinced me that I should get it as close as possible. So I did. Maybe that is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    if you do alot of one piece uncoventional set-ups its worth its weight in gold.
    like rings with bores finished and the ods not finished.

One thing I found and maybe some guys can answer this is that, I take a finished bore lets say .625 dia. put the part in the vice get it close then run the probe macro. it finds center in the part changes offsets automatically for you. however on a small bore 1" and under if your not almost perfectly on center with the probe for start your hitting the sides of the bore not square.
    while it should be ok I have noticed that after I do the 1st center finding macro , I do a second one( just run it again) and the offsets change a tad like .002 max run it again and its fine. Now I just automatically run the macro twice.

has anyone had this problem with small bores? your first probing not coming out correctly run again and it changes the fixture offset numbers slightly?

again I only notice this on small bores and when I am quite a bit off center on initial location.

Delw
    Del-

I have found the same thing to be true with our Marposs probe. Running the macro twice does give the best results.

Tim

I will say that probes come in pretty handy. I still think it's just as easy to pick up with an edge finder but...

I use probes alot in the program for picking up a part and setting the work offset for each part...(For those parts that very due to clamping and stuff)

They really come in handy when you have a couple parts that you can't or don't want to set a stop for, just eye-ball your part in the vise and program the probe to come in and pick it up for each load.

Saved me many of times when I was scratching my head trying to figure out a stop that would be consistent.

Mike in MN

http://www.cncbasics.com
    http://www.cncbasicsforum.com
    http://www.mastercamforum.com
    http://www.mastercamblog.com
    www.cncbasics.com