587,272 active members*
4,477 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Engraving with a BP EZ Trak ?

I was wondering if anyone here has written any programs for their BP EZ Trak to do simple engraving. I have been trying to do this myself but haven't had much success yet. I've searched this forum about this subject but haven't found anything helpful. My BP is a 1994 2-axis EZ Trak SX.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Ted

I remember playing with the fact that some versions of the EZTRAK software had engraving. It may have been version 7beta. Cumbersome with the smaller keyboard but the last few I installed had the color flat screen Computer Express control and a full size keyboard that worked a lot better.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    I remember playing with the fact that some versions of the EZTRAK software had engraving. It may have been version 7beta. Cumbersome with the smaller keyboard but the last few I installed had the color flat screen Computer Express control and a full size keyboard that worked a lot better.

George
    George,

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any idea if there is a source to purchase the version 7 Beta software and if my SX model would support it. I'm guessing that if I had the software and it was compatable with my mill, that I would be able to use a full size keyboard by connecting directly into the control panel.

Thanks for your help.

Ted

If you indeed have the guts of a SX control, it means that you boot from a floppy and have a 286 or 386 SX processor. That would have to be upgraded.
    Next time I am on a EZTRAK with the latest ver6 software (from EMI), I will see if engraving is there. Or someone else can answer that here.
    A full size keyboard can be plugged into the back of the monitor.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have done very little engraving so others will know better than I do. However, I have a DX with the EMI upgrade software V6.0. It does have the engrave feature under AUXFUN > *Engrave >
    F4Text. It is really pretty crude. It is much better to have a third party cadcam software with an EZTRAK post processor. That way the text or whatever can be selected and a tool path created. There is a free? program that I fiddled a little with several years ago but as I said it is much better the other way.

Gentlemen, Thank you both for your input.

George - Yes, I do have the SX control with the 386 processor, so it sounds like the 386 won't support the engraving function.

WagonWheel - Thanks for verifying that the EMI Version 6 software has the engraving function.

I think I will contact EMI to find out what my options are, but if it gets too complex and/or expensive, I'll probably just farm out the engraving. I don't do enough of it to justify a large expenditure.

Thank you guys for your help.

Ted