587,762 active members*
3,799 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G540 with Keling 8-wire

G540 with Keling 8-wire

Has anyone used the KL23H276-30-8A motors with the G540? I'm wondering if anyone has tested the different configuration of UP, BPS, BPP.

Decided to finally hook up my G540 today and can't decide which configuration will be best. I'm using a 42v 10A PS

Thanks,
    Heath

The G540 is a Bipolar driver, so...

If you go with the Bipolar Parallel you will be limited to the 3.5Amps of the G540, but you will see more usable torque at high speed due to the lower inductance...
    If you just want holding power or low speed, then maybe Bipolar series...

It depends on how fast you want the motors turning. Faster is usually better

I like "faster"... Happy Easter!!

I guess I'll just try parallel with the full 3.5 and see what happens. It should probably be fine for my situation but hopefully parallel doesn't make everything get too hot.

I've been using the Probotix probostep drivers and they work well. After a 120 minute run my motors were usually only at about 170f. After I put 80mm fans on them they never go over 95f.

I'll have to hook it up while the rest of the family is having Easter dinner... seems like the appropriate time to get away for a while.

Thanks for the reply.

I hooked the G540 with my motors in BPP mode and it works ok. I seem to be getting a lot of missed steps or something though. Definitely not as strong or fast as my old drivers, which were the unipolar chopper drivers from probotix running at 3a. I never noticed it before, but if I hold the motor coupler with two fingers i can make it stall. Shouldn't they be more powerful than that?

Everything worked fine with the probotix drivers, maybe I don't have a big enough PS to run in BPP mode? it's a linear 42v 10a max (5a nominal) ps.

My first guess would be that you do not have the correct current setting resistor install between pins 1 and 5 of the db9 connector.
    A 3A unilpolar motor should be set for 4.2A when wired biolar parallel. You would need a 3.5K reistor for that. But the BPP is above the 3.5A that the G540 can output so you may be better off going BPS and set the current for 2.14A with a 2.2K resuistor.

Quote Originally Posted by heathric View Post
    I hooked the G540 with my motors in BPP mode and it works ok. I seem to be getting a lot of missed steps or something though. Definitely not as strong or fast as my old drivers, which were the unipolar chopper drivers from probotix running at 3a. I never noticed it before, but if I hold the motor coupler with two fingers i can make it stall. Shouldn't they be more powerful than that?

Everything worked fine with the probotix drivers, maybe I don't have a big enough PS to run in BPP mode? it's a linear 42v 10a max (5a nominal) ps.

If you are running at the full 3.5A out you "could" run it without the current set resistor... but that affects the current reduction feature of the gecko... basically disables it. Im doing that right now as I had it set up for some smaller motors on one machine, then bought some 3.5A motors for my plasma table and got lazy and snipped the resistors ... its working fine so far...

Oops forgot the initial problem... check to make sure that all of the phases of the motor are hooked up correctly.. if one of them is backwards it would cancel out the fields making the motor extremely weak.