587,096 active members*
6,728 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Milltronics Centurion 5, will not "Reset" properly.

Milltronics Centurion 5, will not "Reset" properly.

HI,

I have a Milltronics VM24 with a Centurion V controller. I have had the machine for about 12 months, and it has been working well for me untill recently.

I was using the mill, and everything was working well in the morning. I powered the mill up in the afternoon and had this issue:

When you hit reset, it drive every axis for about 1-2" then trips out. Error 407 or 408 comes up, on either X and Y axis (changes each time)

I have checked and done the following:
    Replaced 1x blown CR module (Capacitor-Resistor)
    Replaced the contact module that resets the drivrs,
    Had the 2x big capacitors checked,
    Swapped the drive cards around,
    Checked all the fuses and obvious stuff.
    Checked the power input,

I am fresh out of ideas on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shane.

P.S. If there is a more appropriate location on the forum for this post, please let me know and I will move or re-post.

Re: Milltronics Centurion 5, will not "Reset" properly.

Check the cardcage power supply for plus and minus 5 volts dc and plus and minus 12 volts dc.

I'll bet you find you're missing one of the 12 vdc voltages.

Thanks ZZZZ,

Are the cards you are refering to the ones in the PC box, or the drive cards outside the box?
    As the computer boots up and all functions normally I figured it was all good. I will check that the PC power supply is working properly this weekend.

Do the drive cards need power other than what comes in past the 2x big capacitors? If so, what pins should I check?

If anyone has a wiring diagram that would help too, as at this stage I am just chasing wires all round the place.

I'm sure it's something simple and stupid. I hope you win the bet ZZZZ, and it is just a power supply issue (depending on what we are betting).

Shane.

The cardcage is the large black box in the upper left corner of the electrical cabinet. Remove the 6-32 screws that hold the cover on.
    The power supply is in the upper left corner and has several sets of wires coming out of it. You want to check the wires in the connectors to the motherboard.
    Here is a link to the pinouts:

AT motherboard power supply pinout diagram @ pinouts.ru

There are several VM24 wiring diagrams available, I need to know what spindle drive and axis drives you have. I may be able to get one for you.

OK, so I checked and replaced the power supply. There was no issue there, but I had another one exactly the same in an old computer so it got changed.
    The mill still did exactly the same thing.

I pulled the mother board out and replaced the battery, as I was sick of having to re-configure the CMOS to recognize the hard drive. The battery had been flat for a while, and I used to just auto-detect the hard drive parameters and it was good to go, so I don’t think there was any issues there.

The display still picks up any movement of all the axis when you rotate the screws by hand, and the limit switches all seem to work.

Anyway, after hours of chasing wires around I seem to have stuffed something else as well. This one is hopefully just a fuse or something, but when you power up, the front panel buttons don’t flash up, and they don’t seem to work. Once this happened I gave up for the weekend.

A wiring diagram would be really helpful.
    What I can tell you about the mill is this:
    Model: VM24, Series A, Serial # 3745,
    The spindle controller is a big black box in the lower right corner.
    The amplifier cards and large capacitors are in the bottom left corner, under the card cage.
    There are 6x cards in the top right side with LED’s, I don’t know what they do,
    There is one other module to the right side of these cards which I also am not sure about.
    The date code puts it around 1990-92 from memory.

If there is anything more info I can get it on the weekend.

Any advice or wiring diagram would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

At least, I think I can get you a wiring diagram that should be for your machine.

Thanks ZZZZ,

This will be a huge help!
    I have printed a hard copy and will hopefully be able to work out what's going on. Should keep me out of trouble this weekend!