588,045 active members*
4,125 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Chuck Drill Chuck Alignment

I noticed last night that the tailstock chuck on my Homier 7x12 did not center with the main three jaw chuck. I sat up a dial indicator and with a dowel pin in the main chuck and one in the mounted tailstock chuck (with the tailstock extended about one inch and lock down) the pine in the tailstock in about .005" higher that the one in the main chuck. I removed the main chuck to make sure everything was clean and reassembled to find the same problem. If I rotate that chuck the pin will move up and down less than .001" If I remove the chuck and the taper it is mounted on and turn and remount there seemed to be about .004" from top to bottom. If I open the chuck and rotate the pin and tighten the chuck back there is less than .001". Also if I extend and retract the tailstock there is less than .001" from end the jaws.

What else do I need to measure? Can this be adjusted?

Thank you for the help.

i added an adjustment bolt to the rear of my 9x20 tail stock. apparently when they machined the tailstock it was one the low side. i was using the bolt with lock nut to prop up the rear of the tail stock and thereby lowering the front until it is parallel and inline with the main chuck center bore.

Try putting the required shim under the tail stock.

If I put a shim under the tailstock, won't that take it out of parallel?

Quote Originally Posted by TomV
    If I put a shim under the tailstock, won't that take it out of parallel?

Yes it will... My 7x12 was about 0.006 high and out of parallel. If look at the yahoo 7x12minilathe group its a common problem. On that group there's a doc called Rollie's Dad's Method.doc which does a very rigorous step by step alignment method which works. Alternatively take the tailstock off and have a look at the base. Its usually uneven and poorly machined and doesn't mate with the ways very well. Some effort with a file and paper often gets it a bit closer. Some recommend using lapping paste but it seems to me you want to cut just the TS base and NOT the ways...

Watch for the TS ram extension. They're a pretty loose fit and can change alignment as its extended. Check the MT2 taper too, mine was poorly machined, wasn't concentric and I got it replaced.

My HF MT2 taper/drill chuck wasn't concentric or straight. Bought a decent one.

Also, if you've got the tailstock right back over the serial number stamping make sure the stamps haven't raised the numbers off the ways. Mine where high and a touch over with a flat needle file bought things a lot closer.

Andrew

Wow, what a horror. Makes me glad I got the 8x12, although, come to think of it, I haven't yet done any operations with its tailstock.