588,025 active members*
4,855 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for router mounting plans.

I just picked up a Porter Cable 6902 router motor for my DIY CNC router and before I start designing a mount for it I was wondering if anyone had a proven design they use that they wouldn't mind sharing with me? Since the router body is a machined aluminum cylinder I had planned on making two rings with a flat on the back and a slot in the front which allowed the ring to compress around the the motor body when a screw was tightened. I saw a photo in the Gallery of another forums members machine which had this type of mount and it seemed like most ideal method, not to mention strong.

If anyone has any CAD drawings of a mount like this and wouldn't mind sharing it with me, I would appreciate it.

Send to [email protected].

Thanks,
    Carl

If you mean something like this

Then i will happily do the cad for you. Just tell me what you want, and the diameter of the router and it shouldn't take too long

I'm having a mount made for the same router. Here is my design.

I can send over the cad file if you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails routermount2.jpg  
    Proud owner of a Series II Bridgeport.

Yeah, those are just the methods I was thinking of using. If you could send your CAD file to me Cold Fusion that would be great. I will most likely need to edit the ID to match my router body but that will only take me a minute on AutoCad.

Thanks for your help guys. I knew someone here would be able to help. :rainfro:

Carl

Begging On

I have a Makita RF1101 router. Anyone know where I could "order" a mount like that? Something like Kong's. I have no means to cut it myself (Compound miter saw won't hack it.)

Or , if you have a Cad file for the Makita post that. I'll figure something to do with it.

/Begging Off

Here's your dxf, but you'd better check the diameter of the centre hole, since it's been on my system for a while, and I may have altered it for another router without remembering! I would cut it for you but I have no spare time at the moment, sorry. Perhaps in a few weeks I can hook you up, but no promises.
    Rename the file to *.dxf since the zone does not allow dxf to be attatched!
    Attached Files Attached Files

How nuts is this?

I'm trying to conjure a Quick-Mount System (QMS) so I can quickly unhang and rehang a variety of tools.

I can't afford a good router now so I have to have a mount for my old P.O.S. Sears. When I get the new one, I'll need to mount it.

That got me to thinking that I need either (a) a universal mount, or (b) tool-specific mounts.

If mounts are tool-specific, I could leave them on each tool (router 1, router 2, touch probe, and spring-loaded ballpoint) and hang them onto the Z platform a cinch them down with something quick, like a wing nut or a come-along mechanism.

(I wouldn't even mention it except that one of my mad ideas actually worked one time.)
    --
    Dan

Dan I think a "Quick Change" mounting plate that would accept a variety of "tool specific" mounts would probably be the best route because a universal style mount would be very hard to design since no power tool is the same as another in shape. Having a quick change plate would allow you to change say from a full size router motor to a small dremmel motor if each was already mounted an aligned in their own mount.

Carl

Beezer,

How about one of these draw, pull, toggle, or Lorenz latches from Reid Tool? (esp. the latter for quick cinch down and release)
    http://www.reidtool.com/store/listCa...idCategory=160
    --
    Dan

Dan

The first one is not a bad idea. Using the V-block design to allow a variety of diameter motors to be used at the same time keeping the one centerline the same.
    I do not know how sturdy the the clamping method is though. It would be stronger if there were two clamps and if the clamping bars had abit of a V shape also.
    One other problem with this design is what if you have a router or laminated trimer that doesn't have a round body especially made of metal. Pretty much all laminate trimmers have plastic bodies and none of them equally round, plus plastic would eventually deform and come loose with this type of mount I think.

If I were to build one myself I would make some type of quick change mount and each powerhead would be attached to their own base, but that is just me.
    This would require a fair bit of machining too but in the end I think it would be a much handier method. I don't plan on using different cutting motors anyways so I will not even build one myself.

Kong,

Thanks again for the CAD drawing of your mounting rings. I finally had a chance today to redraw it using the measurements I got off yours and modified it to fit my router.

Carl

Here's an idea for a "multi-mount" (4", 3.5", 3", and 1-15/16" diam. bodies: others possible).

I drew this up mostly to see if multiple diams could be handled in a smaller space than what a 'vee' takes up.

Each of the three larger routers would be grabbed at 4 equally spaced spots. (I saw 3-1/2" represented as the diam. of the popular 690 Porter-Cable, and 1-15/16" represents the eyeball diameter of a couple of Dremels I have on-hand).

The overall length was set to provide a half-inch on each side for bolt for which I like the Lorenz latch.

[Just like the newbie, I forgot to attach the post...]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails routrmnt.jpg  
    --
    Dan

What about employing the quick-change tool post for the lathe idea for multiple tool mounts where one bolt tightens down on a dovetail. Loosen the bolt slide out one tool and then slide another in and tighten one bolt and it's done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_0617.jpg  

Beezer, my cnc router is now working. I could cut you a mount for the cost of materials and shipping if you want.
    Proud owner of a Series II Bridgeport.

Thanks for the offer CF but I already got the mounts done. I made a CAD drawing of the general shape I wanted and took this file to a CNC shop, where I know the owner and they machined the blanks out for me then I took them to work and finished them by driliing and tapping all the mounting holes and then splitting them in half.

Here is a photo of them mounted on the gantry with the router in place.

Carl