587,383 active members*
3,260 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: ARC- LEAD IN

ARC- LEAD IN

bobcad v24
    running a haas 3 axis mill

just wondering if why when selecting arc as a lead in to a profile, the tool rapids to the center point of the arc, then feeds to the start of the arc, then does the lead in. what happens with this is the tool rapids into the workpiece (z crash), then feeds away (y) to the correct lead-in point- then does the arc into the part as it should- how do i get rid of the 1st 2 moves without having to always manually edit? seem i am manually editing programs an awful lot where the cam is supposed to be doing it.. (things that changing the post wont help)

The fish mouth...The arc lead in with the BobCAD CAM software always starts perpendicular to the profile selected. What you might be looking for is to control the angle of line arc lead in, which at this time you do not have that option.

What you'll need to make sure of it the arc lead in is large then the tool radius or the adjusted comp setting that you might use.

If you are using just machine comp I could see were this could be an issue because you're not sure of the adjustment that you might make at the control for the comp setting.

Example programming a profile for a .25 END Mill then making the decision to change the tool size to something larger. If you ARC lead in is not setup for let's say a .5 End Mill, now you have a crash as the tool rapids down the the start point....

There are other options for comp setting, so you may consider using wear comp instead of just machine comp.

"Wear comp" is when you let BobCAD offset for the Radius of the cutter and use G41 / G42 to dial in the wall. When using "wear comp" the tool table is not set for the radius of the tool, but instead the wiggle room for the wall....

It might taking some getting use to but it's really not all that bad. Just use a radius lead in large enough work with changes you might make to the tool use are using.

The comp doesn't turn on till after the first line move anyway.
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

thanks ill try a few other ways until i find what suits

Not sure what the original intent or reason for putting in the initial straight line move, but I use it often to add cutter comp and adjust a dimension. I add it to all of my single point threading for multiple passes and finishes.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28