587,357 active members*
3,708 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > CNC mill in Residential zone/home? Noise etc questions.

CNC mill in Residential zone/home? Noise etc questions.

I live in a track home in S. CA. 6,000 sq foot lot. my question is will a CNC mill be too loud for the neighbors? People are pretty tolerant here but there is an HOA that can force a mill to be removed if it becomes an issue.

ty

My cnc ROUTER is pretty loud - so I'm going to add insulation to the walls and door to help it down during day only work.
    I'm looking at a mini-lathe and expect it (and likewise, a mini-mill) to be much quieter. They're turning at 2500 rpm vs 10K!
    The ShopVac is also very loud - so I picked up a Dust Collector and it is considerably quieter. We're lucky with not having and HOA - and my aging neighbors (75+ on average) tend to be forgiving. Maybe they just can't hear it
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich05 View Post
    ...my question is will a CNC mill be too loud for the neighbors?...ty
    Find out what kind of music your neighbors like. Get a big boom box and play that music nice and loud when you use the mill.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Can you build your mill into a sound and vibration reducing enclosure?

I have a mill in a 1st floor apartment - my goal with the enclosure was to make it sound and feel no worse than a domestic washing machine, which is something everyone is used to.

I have to wear hearing protection if I'm inside the enclosure while the mill is running, but with the doors closed, I've measured sound levels as low as 57dBA at 1 meter - which is pretty damn quiet!