587,818 active members*
3,032 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Having trouble making this surface on outline shape - help pls

Having trouble making this surface on outline shape - help pls

I have a part I measured using a probe (the spline shape in the first image).

So I need to model a "domed" top surface so I can machine this part - it will end up being a cosmetic cap that covers a hole.

In the 2nd picture is a side view of the spline showing a section of an ellipse 90 degrees perpendicular to the plane the spline is on, and along the longest axis of the spline.

I need to make a curved surface that will connect the perimeter spline and the ellipse I've drawn.

I am sure it should be simple but I can't get it to work. I was trying to use

Insert->Surface->Boundary Surface but either I am using incorrect geometry or the wrong tool because it's not producing the effect I want, it's making a surface using the top curve as a rail for the spline and making almost a tube.

Can anyone offer some guidance here? I'm a noob at Solidworks surfaces.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

maybe loft surface
    sw 2010
    Attached Files Attached Files
    for CNC woodcarving - 3d puzzle - furnitures
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/fabrun/

I too was thinking a loft or, you could try extrude the shape and use fillets to try and close in on what you want. The fillets have a lot of settings and you can use multiple radii too.

Check out this vid - you might get some ideas:

DASI Solutions Webinar
    -Andy B.
    http://www.birkonium.com CNC for Luthiers and Industry http://banduramaker.blogspot.com

You'll need more data to accurately model it. Like cross sections along planes simultaneously perpendicular to both the planes your two sketches are on. The more cross sections the closer you'll get to the actual shape.

I'd say one through the middle & two on each side should suffice, depending on how close of a given shape you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by emonje View Post
    You'll need more data to accurately model it. Like cross sections along planes simultaneously perpendicular to both the planes your two sketches are on. The more cross sections the closer you'll get to the actual shape.

I'd say one through the middle & two on each side should suffice, depending on how close of a given shape you want to go.
    Thanks for the help.

The Solidworks file posted above is pretty close, I will give that a shot.

Emonje, if I was to add "ribs" between the perimeter and the "backbone", what tool would I then use to drape a surface over that structure? I completely understand that you mean about adding more curves to flesh out the shape - just not sure what tool I would use to fill it in.

Extrude your sketch vertically any amount. Then Insert - Feature - Dome. Select the face, and how high you want the dome. If you don't want the vertical walls, extrude-cut them away. Job done.

You are trying to work in wireframes - you need to change the way you are working. SolidWorks is all about SOLIDS. Don't try to make sticks and then skin them over. It can be done, but that is advanced surfacing, and NOT a beginner workflow. Make solids, and add and remove from those solids to get the shapes you want. If you have not done the tutorials included in SolidWorks, DO THEM! They are VERY beneficial - even if they don't make sense or you think you will never need the functions, DO the tutorials.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Quote Originally Posted by fabconv View Post
    maybe loft surface
    sw 2010
    That worked!

Thank you, especially for the example - it helped a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by SRT Mike View Post
    Thanks for the help.

The Solidworks file posted above is pretty close, I will give that a shot.

Emonje, if I was to add "ribs" between the perimeter and the "backbone", what tool would I then use to drape a surface over that structure? I completely understand that you mean about adding more curves to flesh out the shape - just not sure what tool I would use to fill it in.
    Same, loft surface. Try using the "ribs" as guide curves for your loft.