587,129 active members*
3,195 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Cutting out a cylindrical overlay issue

Cutting out a cylindrical overlay issue

Trying to cutout this shape on a tube but I need to know how to tell sprut that it is ok to cut outside the pocket that it created.

As you can see it is not fully cutting out the material that I need. I put a inner tube in the drawing so that I would not be completely cutting off the end of the material and because that is how I will actually machine it. If you select the full design and hit pocket it goes even more wonky so I split it into two sections and it gets pretty close. Should I be trying a different operation for this?

Thanks, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by compunerdy View Post
    Trying to cutout this shape on a tube but I need to know how to tell sprut that it is ok to cut outside the pocket that it created.

<SNIP>

As you can see it is not fully cutting out the material that I need. I put a inner tube in the drawing so that I would not be completely cutting off the end of the material and because that is how I will actually machine it. If you select the full design and hit pocket it goes even more wonky so I split it into two sections and it gets pretty close. Should I be trying a different operation for this?

Thanks, Tim
    Check out the Tormach videos, I believe there is a 4th axis pocketing that I have watched, but have not had a need to try it yet. I think it would work better than the engraving.

I have seen most and have not seen them do a cutout like this but I could be wrong. The issue is that anytime you create a pocket it creates a shape based off the outer edges and when a end is open like on my pic above it creates a straight line between the outermost points and will not machine outside of that box which is the issue I am having. I need some way to tell it that it is ok to move outside the box or something along those lines.

Tormach has a 4th axis video with that exact info.

David

the only one I see is this one

25011 - Sprut 4th Axis | Tormach | We provide personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items

And it is not the same thing. They have closed pockets. This issue is when you have a open pocket like in my picture. Also they do not do any shapes other than basic rectangles, squares, etc.

EDIT- the video does show one way that sort of but not really works which is rotary machining. It would not leave nice edges as it does not cut along the curves and it also would cut way more than needed.

I could VERY easily be missing something obvious though which is why I am here asking for help figuring it out.

Quote Originally Posted by compunerdy View Post

Thanks, Tim
    Hello, Tim,
    In SpruCAM since version 7.1.4. we have added the <Base surface> feature from the engraving operation into the 2d contouring operation. By using it you can machine open pockets on cylindrical open pockets by specifying the contour of the pocket in the job assignment, checking the "Check workpiece" option and selecting the appropriate roughing passes parameters. Here is an example.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just downloaded it and it works great!! Thanks yet again.

Tim