2,898 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Using CNC machine differently

Using CNC machine differently

Hey everyone.
    I'm new in CNC world.
    At school we have a CNC from Heiz the model 'High-Z S-1000/T'

I'l like to set a photo-camera on it instead of milling or drilling id like to program it to take many pictures of different flat objects.

Does anyone allready try this ? Do you think it is possible ?

I would need to automate the machine to cover the whole object by moving as a grid maker (with or without overlap area it depends of the precision) and that on each position the camera take a picture and export it on the computer with the X and Y coordonate.

Could anyone help me or advise me ? Is it possible ? Are there topics or site that could help me ?

Thanks

Pierre

I watched a video on you tube were the guy attached a scanner head to the Y axis and he scanned objects that normally could not be scanned on the flatbed scanner.

He took the head and the scanners electronics from the flatbed scanner because the glass was cracked.

Worked pretty well in scanning objects like a gun and a drill he put on the CNC

Yes, this would be possible. Probably what you will not be able to do is automatically rotate the camera to different positions. In fact, the camera should not be mounted to the spindle at all for safety reasons regarding spindle control. You will have to educate yourself heavily on the machine functions and operations. The precision of the positioning of the machine can be assumed to be 0.025 mm or less. How this would work out mathematically for image capture would be determined by focal length, view angle, and number of pixels of the camera. most machines have additional open M-codes available that could be used to trigger a remote shutter switch if the camera has this feature. This would require some physical modification to the machine and addition of electrical wiring and components. You will need to study the machine's documentation for operation and programming for further information. Possiblly contacting the machine's manufacturer. Also you are always welcome to ask questions here once you have done the background study.

HI!
    I have a cnc software cold Cncplayer that have the possibility to add an web camera and make big scans. Try to look at cncplayer.com

regards
    Gunnar

Thanks Guys !

For txcncman : Why would it be dangerous to plug the camera instead of the drilling machine ?

For Gunnar : you talk about scanner with cncplayer, do you think a photo-camera could be ok ? I tried to go on the website but it seems to be under maintenance.
    Is it the only one ?
    What for do you use it ? Are you satisfied ?

Thanks for your answer, have a good day

Pierre

Arrow CNC Machine as scanner

Piece of cake.

If the CNC is NC controlled, it would be very simply to write a couple of routines that would take some parameters (x start, y start, x end, y end, x step width, y step width, feed rate , dwell before camera activation, dwell after camera activation). There are some stock codes (say the coolant on/off) that could be used to trigger the camera by wiring the appropriate relay to the camera release.

Pseudo code

Move to x,y start
    while x pos < x end
    while y pos < y end
    turn coolant on
    dwell after activation
    turn coolant off
    move y step width
    end while for y position
    move to y origin
    move x step width
    end while for x position

Touch probe routines (minus the z movement of the actual probing and the camera trigger) do this all the time.

Thanks FRKeith.
    The machine is controlled with WinPC-NC economy.
    Could you advise me a program that could generate the loop you are talking of ? Do I have to generate directly de Gcode or another code that will generate the Gcode. I'm a bit lost in this world of CNC.
    Thanks
    Pierre