587,188 active members*
4,439 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Adjusting Spindle Speed on Series I

I am a teacher at a technical school in NH. We have a series I machine and we are having problems changing/adjusting the spindle speed on the machine; either manually or within a program - stuck at 3750 RPM. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Donkey

Exactly which Series 1 are you talking about? The R2E3 that I play with ocassionally does not allow speed changes via program control.
    Dave

Have you checked there is a good air supply?

Air Dupply

The drawbar pullls up, so I assume that the air supply is probably OK. What should the supply be to sufficently operate both? We have had moisture problems the past couple of weeks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Donkey

The drawbar is hydraulically operated from a pump so does not require compressed air.
    On the wall or the rear of the machine there should be a regulator and gauge.
    6.5 Bar or 100 psi is about nornal but it should operate OK with say 40 psi even.

Do you have a copy of the maintenance manual?
    I am looking for electrical schematics for the same machine and would be very gratefull if you could email me a copy to [email protected]

schematics

Which schematics do you need? I have the manual and there are at least 10 pages of "B" sized drawings (11" x 17"), if you know which one(s) you need I can have a student scan it/them if you want all of them I can have them photo copy them and snail mail them.

Donkey

We still do not know what machine this is. The stepping motor BOSS machines had either the 2J handle you turn or the GAST air motor. The air motor could be stuck (needs oil), or a solenoid could be bad, or power to the switch could be bad.
    A BOSS 9 can have the same problems as above but it has a front panel that is problem prone. Also the auto speed change can be turned on and off in the options.
    I do not remember if the BOSS 8 has this feature.
    There is the outside chance that the adjustable disk is stuck. It can be proven by seeing if the chain goes slack looking inside the vent on the front of the belt housing.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)