587,997 active members*
1,766 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > URGENT HELP i have a stuck job to do

URGENT HELP i have a stuck job to do

Hi, i got this problem, i have a Universal M300 and the issue is that when i engrave any kind of material when it finished engraving the carriage does not go to the original position that is right top corner it stays about 9 inches off the original position and i cant move it manually cause it's stock
    could some one help me on this
    ASAP

thanks

Hello,
    Is the machine not going to the HOME position because it is stuck or is the gcode missing the instructions for the axis to return to the home position?
    If it is stuck due to a mechanical problem you will need to figure out what is causing the restriction on the Z axis?
    Regards,
    Wes

thanks for answering so soon, what is the gcode and how can i fix it

The gcode is the the code in the program that the machine reads, this is how the machine gets its instructions for each move of the X,Y, and Z axis. So I am asking if the program has a line at the end that instructs the axis to return to the Home position(example: G0X0Y0Z2.0 and can vary by different controllers[g50 is homing command for Amada CNC turret punchs])
    Do you know if the axis is mechanically jammed or is the program command missing to bring the axis to the Home position?
    Regards,
    Wes

i think is mechanically, cause some time get stuck and some others no, and when it does i have to shut the machine and start it all agian, and send the file from the pc again

If you think it is mechanical then you should investigate the axis that seems to be jamming to see if you can determine the problem. Some things that come to mind would be:
    1)lubrication for the ways/linear slides
    2)make sure there are no chips or dust accumulated on the slides or on the ballscrew/leadscrew
    3) gib screws are adjusted correctly so there is no bind on the slides

Is there any error code or alarm on the screen of the controller?
    I assume that powering the machine down and restarting clears any alarm state and then the axis are referenced to the home position before you restart?
    Regards,
    Wes

sorry, but could you please tell me where are the gib scews, and i will lubricate and clean every thing to make sure there is no dust or chips as a metter of fact maybe it works we use a los of rubber to be engrave for the rubber stamps

and no there is no alarm on the screen when stuck

i really appreciate you help

I am not familiar with your machine, but some machines use slide ways and there are others that have linear slides for the linear motion of the axis. Most regular milling machines employ cast iron machine parts and they use dovetail machined slides. These will normally have gib screw adjustment on one side of the slide way and employ a screw with a locking nut for adjustment. You can usually see them if you take a look at any one of your axis on both sides of the slide. I really think it may just be an obstruction jamming your axis as the gib screws are normally locked when adjusted and will not come lose.
    If you have linear slides they do not use gib screws and there is no adjustment needed. I hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Wes

His laser doesn't use G-Codes or have gib screws. It's a laser engraver and doesn't work like a CNC machine. It works more like a printer.

There is an option in the control panel that allows you to keep the machine from going home after a job. That might be checked. I don't have that model machine, I have the next generation, but I use that option when I have jobs that are small, but repetitive, so it's not going home after each cycle.

If that's not the issue, it's time to call Universal. Their tech support is free, so they'll get you headed down the right path quickly.

Hopefully you already figured it out and you're all set.