587,629 active members*
3,175 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

lathe question?

Using V21, When you are laying out a drawing there has to be a dashed on the right face of the part to allow the software to know it's ok to go through the line. I get that, and when there is enough stock to remove you get enough room to create the line it's no problem. But where I' having problems is when there is no room to create the line. For example, if the drawing begins with a simple rectangle 1.5" high and 6" wide - representing a dowel rod. I only need to cut, lets say a groove in the center, so I draw the groove-the dowel is still 1.5" high and 6" wide except for the groove in the center. There is no room on the face - the right side of the part to convert a dashed line. I"ve tried extending the line upwards - let's say 1/2" inch - and that leaves clearance for a that line to become the dashed line. but then you can't zero the cutter on the stock without manipulation ( backing off the X axis, in this example 1/2" ) when zeroing the axis's on the control program (Mach3) before running the gcode. Is there a better, simpler way? Or am I missing something? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Jeff,

That is a hard one. BobCAD V21 is not be best lath package. I always seem to have issues with the tool cutting right through the part. Most of the time I would just use a canned cycle, I am sure mach has a few.

The mystery about the dotted lines, That line says the tool can move through the part part. So if you were doing a OD cycle the dotted line would be on the face because the tool would be removing that area as it works across the od.

I an mot sure if that helps but for an OD grove I am sure you don't need a dotted line.

Al

Not sure if this helps, but when I'm programming parts for my lathe in bobcad V22, I don't use the lathe function at all! I program my part in X and Y axis only. But I only draw half of the part. So if I were to make a shaft, I would split the shaft down the middle and program that in X and Y. I hope this makes sense! it make things much easier! just message me back if you need more clarification.

Yeah Ryan, I am interested in how you are doing that I can't get that through my head, but anything has to easier than what I'm doing now. Let me know, Thanks, Jeff