587,737 active members*
3,223 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post makino machines

what do you think of them?

It's been 10 yrs since I've run one. 4-axis, 2-pallet, 70 tool machine.
    I liked it, we ran it hard too. 2" insert mill, .5 doc, 20,000 rpm@200ipm in al7075 all day and all night.
    Walking is highly over-rated

service

don't even think of calling makino for any help unless you put up $2500.00 for one year of phone support.

Hello

I worked at a production shop (mainly did alum extrutions) that had 4 A55 and 2 A55e in a machining cell. I thought there were great machines. Fast, accurate, reliable, and excellent surf/chip removal. If I was going to to lights out machining with horziantal machining centers, I would give these machine a really good look. I've ran a Hurco Horziantal (HTX 500) and I could get the job running nice and let it run the the two pallets out over night (2.5 hours of machine time) and when I come back the next day, It only compleated 30 min. of machining because the tool changer alarmed out.

That's my 2 cents

glovebox20

I recently bought a Makino RMC55 (1994 Build Date) at an Auction without knowing whether the thing worked! It looked pretty shabby and was obviously not looked after. It went reasonably cheap so I took the risk.

A clean up and and a few parts later I find I'm the owner of a machine that does everthing it supposed to and accurately.
    The Heidenhain conversational programming is the first CNC language I've learnt. It was easy to pick up. I've heard these controllers have a reputation for reliability.

So now I'm on the lookout for abused, crappy looking cheaper Makino's!

Noticed a possible ambiguity in my post:
    'a few parts later' means parts the machine has made. Not spare parts

Quote Originally Posted by adrenal View Post
    I recently bought a Makino RMC55 (1994 Build Date) at an Auction without knowing whether the thing worked! It looked pretty shabby and was obviously not looked after. It went reasonably cheap so I took the risk.

A clean up and and a few parts later I find I'm the owner of a machine that does everthing it supposed to and accurately.
    The Heidenhain conversational programming is the first CNC language I've learnt. It was easy to pick up. I've heard these controllers have a reputation for reliability.

So now I'm on the lookout for abused, crappy looking cheaper Makino's!

It gose to show you, a good machine tool is more than skin deep. Hurco and HAAS machines look great on the outside, but there not so great underneth the way covers.