588,074 active members*
4,734 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Driver signature problem

I recently expirienced some problems with the USB driver. After Windows Update, the MK3 is not shown in DeviceManager.

First I thought of a issue due to windows update and after a few hours i was able to fix it somehow. But now, after the next windows update, the same problem appeared.

I should mention that I currently use Windows 11 Develloper preview. So this issue may not be related to current operating systems, but I think there is a high chance, that the driver will stop working with one of the next public updates from microsoft .

Reason is simple: Microsoft deprecated SHA1 algorythm for driver signature in 2016, and now, with the latest develloper release of windows 11, it looks like they enforce it now and have disabled all drivers who use SHA1 signing.
    So for future, it will be required to sign the driver with SHA256.

When microsoft enforces the new driver signing algorthm, it will just disable existing drivers without any chance to get a usefull message nor the option to ignore the driver signature. Don't know if this is a bug in windows, but it makes troubleshooting this issue not easy and the MK3 Controller just stops working after a Windows Update.

Here are some informations from Microsoft regarding the SHA1:
    Use of SHA1 certificate will be deprecated by Microsoft starting from January 1, 2016. All CA vendors must to issue signing certificates with the SHA256 hash algorithm:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...signing-issues

In fact, planet cnc uses two signatures who use SHA1. The signature from Planet CNC itself and one of the root certificates uses SHA1 too.

Re: Driver signature problem

I found a temporary solution to fix the problem after it appears, but that seems to only work until the next windows update.

The usb device itself is not visible in device manager anymore after a windows update and that's why the regular workarrounds with disabling driver signature do not work.
    Also reinstalling the USB driver from the Planet CNC installer does not work in that case.

Solution so if the USB Device was already working and stopped working after a Windows Update:

1. Restart PC with advanced settings and disable driver signature check. (Win10 and 11 - hold shift while restarting the PC to reach the advanced startup settings)
    2. Disconnect the USB Device and open device Manager.
    3. Right click your computer in device manager and select "Add driver" or "install driver..." (Don't know the english labeling)
    4. Select the driver folder from the Planet CNC installation directory. Usually C:\Program Files\PlanetCNC\Driver\Driver
    5. Click on install.

If everything is working as expected, there should be a message that the PlanetCNC.inf has been installed for at least 1 device.
    After that, you can connect the USB device again and it should be shown in Device Manager.

Re: Driver signature problem

Driver is updated with SHA256 signature and is available here:https://planet-cnc.com/wp-content/up...CNC_Driver.zip