587,686 active members*
3,227 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Another coolant question

There is a local business that sells oil here in town and they carry a coolant call NO. 35 soluble oil by Fiske's and it looks like it is made by Lubriplate.

Here is the link

Just wanted to know if anyone is familiar with this coolant? Good Bad? and how is the smell of it as well. I have read some of the posts about coolant and was going to get some that people recommended but thought i would give this local company a try. Also if you know of another coolant from the same company let me know maybe they can get it. They carry the No. 35 but it took them a while to see if they had it in stock and they said they do not deal with coolant for machine much so maybe there is a better choice then the No. 35 stuff

Your link is broken...

I use Hangsterfers 777 coolant.

I use SwissLube Blasocut 2000 Universal. I have been using it for 15 years and have never had any problems with it.

I have used it in Mazak, FADAL and Haas machines.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Thanks for the info and i fixed the link (I hope)

Wink

Here’s another source for good quality and affordable coolants: BandSaw Repair, Band Saw Blades, Bandsaw Parts. They also carry the AF 2000 and AF 3000 coolants but are not present on their site. Good thing one sales representative sent me a pdf file on their products’ details. I have uploaded it for everyone’s convenience.

I did forget to mention and still not sure if this is the issue or not, but either the coolant or the way oil from Tormach ate the paint of my machine in some places (makes it bubble up). It could also be the mixture of both. Just make sure you use the recommended water to mix with (not tap), I've been using distilled.

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post
    I did forget to mention and still not sure if this is the issue or not, but either the coolant or the way oil from Tormach ate the paint of my machine in some places (makes it bubble up). It could also be the mixture of both. Just make sure you use the recommended water to mix with (not tap), I've been using distilled.
    What’s the difference when you use tap water in mixing than distilled?

Considering all the various contaminates and gunk that ultimately gets mixed into the coolant over the course of normal usage, I consider it unlikely that the relatively minute difference between tap water and distilled water really matters in the final analysis.

Coolant is about cooling the tool, displacing chips and adding lubricity. Which of those functions will be diminished by use of tap water and why?

I was thinking the same.

Tap water vs distilled

Water is a lot more complicated than it appears.

Distilled water (or reverse osmosis water) will be free of other ions.

Depending on process, ion-exchanged water may not be.

Tap water will have whatever local contaminants are present (calcium, magnesium, sodium, iron, chlorine/chloride, sulfate/sulfide, etc). These vary by region of the country and whether one is using manufactured (municipal) or well water. Concentrations of those local components vary wildly; it's the reason that the big soapers make alternate formulations for various regions.

Some of these (iron, chlorine/chloride, calcium and magnesium, for example) may stain or react with other metals or cutting fluid components, lowering the concentration of a functional component- or even exhausting it, though that's unlikely. Most functional fluid manufacturers are pretty conservative and build in some reserve, expecting users to abuse their products.

So, for example, forming an insoluble salt of a fatty acid -in the case of a soluble oil and hard water- could both alter lubricity or heat transfer (neither is very likely, but both are possible). The resulting scum can plate out on any surface, and eventually be a problem.

Similarly, those minute differences contribute to corrosion, preservative failure, and so on. The differences may seem minor; they are not. Sometimes, one gets away with using tap water. Sometimes, not.

I don't use or recommend tap water with coolants. If you really hate paying for RO/DI/distilled, check with the manufacturer of your coolant system, and follow his recommendations. But do check.

I guess those contaminants contained in tap water are not enough to start for a reaction to the coolant. But it is always better to be safe. Thanks for the advice.

It is interesting that Lockheed found that tap water with its chlorine content interfered with machining titanium during the production of the SR71 and then switched to distilled water.
    Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don Clement

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    It is interesting that Lockheed found that tap water with its chlorine content interfered with machining titanium during the production of the SR71 and then switched to distilled water.
    Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don Clement
    Lockheed trail-blazed their way in machining titanium on the SR71, even the drill geometry and techniques. The SR71 was the first aircraft with all titanium skin. The design and building of that revolutionary aircraft was an amazing feat of engineering.

The book ("Skunk Works" I think) of that project should be compulsory reading for all aerospace engineers and technicians. Unfortunately I loaned my copy to someone and then forgot to retrieve it. If anyone has the details of it, I would like to hear so that I can read it again.