587,936 active members*
3,737 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Turning > Help with chuck open/close sensor alignment!

Unhappy Help with chuck open/close sensor alignment!

Hello folks,

New to the forum, and machining, I'm sure it doesn't come as a surprise that I'm here seeking advice.....

I'm a trainee machinist working with manual lathes and XYZ machines, only been doing it six months or so but I'm enjoying it much more than my previous jobs.

I ran into trouble today using an XYZ CT 52 machine, its like a big lathe with a bar feeder attached behind the jaws.

I'm getting alarm code: 700016 (Chuck open/close error)

The program is supposed to run on a cycle but halts after producing each part, during the chuck open/close operation, before the bar feeder pushes the bar through ready for the next piece.

I noticed one of the in/out chuck sensors behind the jaws weren't working, so got on the phone with tech support who confirmed it was the sensor.

It did begin working again after it was taken out and cleaned, but now it needs to go back into position.

Can anyone tell me how to set this correctly?

I set the jaws to closed, on a bar, then slowly pushed the sensor forward until the light came on. (I thought it made sense to set it like that)

That didn't work, but the sensor lights are now coming on and off at least, so I know they are working. (It machined the part, but still gave the chuck open/close error at the end)

Tomorrow I was going to close the jaws without any bar, loosen the sensor then push it forward slowly again until it lights up, tighten, then run the program again.

Any ideas?

Thanks

with the jaws open, (i.e. drawtube fully forward), you should have one of the proximity switches lit-up.
    with the jaws closed, but not gripping a part, (i.e. drawtube fully rearward), you should have the other proximity switch lit-up.

then when you close the jaws onto the part, you should have NO proximity switches lit, and the machine should run.