587,758 active members*
2,771 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ziegler's Machine Log

I have spent the past couple months working on my machine. I don't know if I could say its original or not, but it has been a learning experience. (I already have plenty of ideas and changes to make on the next build. )

Primary purpose will be to carve patterns and core boxes for metal casting. The primary machine will be 3 axis, but I have thoughts on adding a 4th (A axis rotating around X.)

I am using EMC2 for the software and HobbyCNC Pro 4 axis for the driver and steppers (200 oz-in). Drive screws are 18 TPI all-thread.

http://images.myonlinesite.com/cnc/index.php (Bottom of page has latest updates... links lead to directories with pictures and sometimes flash videos.)

I am running into a bit of mental block coming up with motor mounts and drive nut (threaded rod coupler) attachment. Any thoughts would be welcomed. I have toyed with a few different ideas, and just haven't settled on anything definite yet.

I still have yet to pick out a router for the machine, but have my eye on a couple trim routers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gantry.jpg   2_axis.jpg  

Here is my updated log also found at: http://images.myonlinesite.com/cnc/index.php (you can use backspace on most browsers to return to the previous page in the frame below.)

As you can see from my log above, over the weekend I managed to come up with a solution for the stepper mount and drive nut mount. I also jerry rigged up a pen and was able to "plot" some code out on a piece of paper.

Lots of tweaking to do... especially with the alignment of the Y nut.

Now to finish the Z carriage!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2axis.jpg  

nice looks

you opted for larger rails.

are those skate bearings?

Yes... 1.5" conduit (actually about 1.74") and they are skate bearings.

If I did it again, I might go with smaller rails and a different support system for the rails... similar to the way http://www.solsylva.com/ does it. However, the cove cut rail supports seems to work well so far.

I added June 5th and June 6th to my cnc log. Last night I spent most of my time tweaking the machine, and computer settings.

Tonight I finished up the Z box.. I hope to add the screw tomorrow.

I dont really have a clear idea on how I will attach the tool. I want to be able to add and remove different tool mounts as I hope to experiment a bit.

Maybe I can drill a grid of holes in the front of the z box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3axis.jpg  

Added the screw and drive nut to the z box tonight. Still no clear decision on the tool holder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z_screw_installed.jpg  

It's Alive!!!!

Made the tool mount tonight, and wired up the cables to all 3 axis. The machine is alive!! Its great joy to see the thing run! Too bad I didn't have a single proper bit to use... well I did, but then I didnt have the right sized collet for the bit :-/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3axis_tool.jpg  

Looking good

I'm just working on the electronics for mine at the moment but it moved under its own steam for the first time today

Right now I am using a wimpy little 12v computer power supply for testing purposes, but I have the parts to build a larger power supply at higher voltage. I also need to add some limit / home switches.

There was a cross support "plate" for the back of the y gantry that added a significant amount of stability to the machine... but I wasn't paying attention last week and I cut it up to make something else. Anyway... that too needs to be added to the machine.

Sealing the machine is also on the list of things to do. I would hate to have moisture ruin it. Maybe I should leave it alone... so that I can have an excuse to make another one!

I know what you mean about making mistakes.

I mounted the stepper for the Y Axis on the wrong side of the machine so it will now have to sit on the opposite workbench it was intended to sit on.

I've got a load of 18V 400VA toroidal transformers earmarked for the motor drive on mine but even running my steppers at an average of 2 amps (I can go up to 2.4 amps per phase on two phases so 4.8A) its running rather well.

I will have to play with it when I get my own drives sorted out

Side note... Those of you using plain-ol all-thread/threaded rod and threaded rod couplers for your drive screws and nut..... rub the screw down with bees wax. It makes a world of difference for how smooth it runs, and it doesn't attract debris like oil and other lubes do! I am also able to run my machine about 5 IPM faster without it stalling too.

Yes, I have been using the machine... I do need to remember to start taking pictures.

Anyone have any advice on tie downs?

Music...

Made an update that I couldn't resist posting:
    http://images.myonlinesite.com/cnc/
    http://images.myonlinesite.com/cnc/u...30/videos.html
    Feel free to sing along!

Love it!!!!!! LoL

Mike