587,619 active members*
3,401 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Linux, on aTaig mill

I have a Taig, 4 axis CNC mill, with a Mico Proto systems, Micro Mill 2000 HD/LE controller. The controller has been upgraded to only one printer port.
    I am using Mach3 software currently, but would like to try Linux.
    Does any one have the config file, so computer, can run this controller?
    Ken K

Re: Linux, on aTaig mill

From the way you have worded the message I presume you are using a controller that originally needed two parallel ports?
    The original MPS2000 software used a three wire per motor control so was limited to three channels per parallel port which only has 10 out pins. The older controller can be upgraded with a 'step and direction' board which will mean it is more in line with modern software and medw.co.uk/wiki/Step+and+Direction+board+Installation has the details on that.
    So the pinout on the parallel port is now on Microproto SD Printer Port Pinout - Model Engineers Digital Workshop but not got a config file for LinuxCNC as yet
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    http://medw.co.uk - Home of electronics for the Model Engineer

Thanks for your reply.
    When I bought, the Taig mill, in 2000, I got the 4 axis mill, which required the second printer port, for the forth axis. Got a new copy of the pin layout, with the upgrade, to one printer port.
    By 2006, I was having a hard time finding the Windows 98 computers, to use the DOS machine control software, so went to Windows XP running Mach3.
    Now Windows XP, is gone, and people are having a problems, with Windows 7, running Mach3, looks like I am going to have to change computer , and redo the system, again. So looking at Linux.
    To Date: Bought an old Windows Vista computer, and got Linux CDs, from friend that has a Sherline, CNC mill.
    Loaded Linux in computer, and in 3 hours, had it cutting a part, in computer, , using my Mach3 files. You have to put a % sign at start of file, m2, at end of file, and a feed rate.
    Now the hard part, getting the computer, to talk, to the controller.
    With all the people, using Taig, CNC mills, think some one has done it!

Fix for Mach3 is simply to load a 32 bit version of windows. Had to buy a couple of W7 licences to get a pair of new ITX boxes working since The sods had managed to make XP not work with the new graphics.
    Not seeing any problem and I have W10 32bit running another piece of parallel port hardware without a problem ... but not had time to try Mach3 on that yet.
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    http://medw.co.uk - Home of electronics for the Model Engineer