587,787 active members*
5,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > New Hobbyist Looking for the Right CNC Machine

New Hobbyist Looking for the Right CNC Machine

Hello,

I'm just a hobbyist looking for the right CNC machine. There is so much information to comb through..... maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

Here is what I'm looking for:
    A machine that can do 2D/3D
    Mill/route wood, wax, or plastic
    Has software that is easy to use and has wide compatibility
    The base can be broken down to fit through a standard basement door
    The piece being worked on is larger than a loaf of bread
    Cost is below $6K
    (also I was wondering if handheld 3D scanners can upload to CNC?)

I looked at the Pocket NC but their working range is small.

Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Re: New Hobbyist Looking for the Right CNC Machine

You might take a look at the Shopbot Desktop: ShopBot Desktop The price is about what you mention (although paying more for the spindle would be worth it). It can handle all those materials, and you can get support from the factory as well as a fairly large user community.

Most handheld scanners will output a STL file. To get from there to a CNC machine, you need to use CAM software.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: New Hobbyist Looking for the Right CNC Machine

I'm a bit of a fan of the OmioCNC X2200L for pretty much what you're talking about, as long as the work envelope (about 550 x 350 x 140mm) is sufficient. Pretty light but stiff and strong enough to cut your list plus aluminium. Came with minor assembly (mount the gantry to the supports, screw down the pre-loaded cable chain and connect the connectors) and will definitely fit through a normal door. Add a PC and Mach3 and you're away. Sadly, they're not like a printer where you hit the button and go - but I've yet to see one that is.

As mentioned, you'll need Mach3 to run the machine and you'll need a CAD/CAM package to design your parts and to define the toolpaths. Autodesk Fusion is pretty popular and free for hobbyists.

The scanning side, well, it depends. There's a lot of rubbish out there and a few really expensive units which will do something worthwhile. Occipital's Structure Scanner (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnOzzbl0Uqw) is looking promising as a reasonably cheap option.

Note that, unless all you want to do is some gimmicky 3D prints of head-and-shoulders, the point clouds off these things really need to be dragged into a CAD package and used as a starting point for a more rigid, well defined design.