587,675 active members*
4,170 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool picture on controller?

Hi Guys. Another Noob question for you. I worked at a place about 3.5 yrs ago. They had a VF-2 (they purchased new and I did not run). It had a little window on the controller, right above the tool # window. It showed a picture of whatever tool was running at the time. If you had a .375" end mill cutting an operation, it would show a picture of a end mill. Same with a shell mill etc. Now, fast forward to now and I am now running a VF-3 (2007) at a different company. The VF-3 does not have anything showing in that little window. Never has. I am imagining that I need to turn a function/parameter on? Does that only happen when you have a tool setter? Only when you manually enter programs? Maybe something extra that needed to be purchased when machine was bought? I use GibbsCAM for programming. Not sure about this so if someone can shed some knowledge in my direction I would appreciate it.

I believe the only way to get that thing to work is to program using VQC, but I've never tried it.

I always thought it was a silly and complete waist of space and graphics. If you don't know what tool is in the spindle, you probably should step away from the machine!

First let me ask what series of software does this machine have?

I suspect that you are on an older version of software.

Software version?

I agree that if you don't know what tool is in the spindle, you probably shouldn't run the machine........but, It COULD come in handy when you have a proven program running and you could literaly walk by and see what tool is running and know where you are at whithin the program. Maybe a useful "tool" for the operator when you have them doing muliple things at once? Was more of a curiousity type thing why this little newer machine didnt have it when the older one did. Not sure where you find out what software version the machine has? I just checked the manual and it says "Control software version M15.04E". Is that what you were asking for?Oh, and thanks for the replies guys. You rock!!

The tool display is activated with the option Intuitive Programming System (IPS). You can activate this option using parameter 315, bit 31. If it is a 0T, you have a 200 hour trial that you can activate. You can talk to your local HFO about purchasing this option. Once you have the option enabled, you need to define the tools using the IPS tool setup screen.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

IPS....Yup!

Ken,
    You hit that dead on. I turned it on (parameter315) and there it is. A cute picture of a drill :cheers:. Guess my next question, and I will do a search as well, is how do you go in and add/modify the tools? I suppose the question should be, where do I access the IPS now that it is on? I would imagine that would be something you would have to do fo each program (since different tooling would be used)? Thanks again for the help. Guess I will run this 200 hrs out and see how beneficial having that option would really be....

Press Hand Jog twice
    Select Setup
    Write/Enter
    Select Tool
    Write/Enter
    Define the tool
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Return to "hand jog" mode?

Ken,
    went in and added all of the tools. Recieved an error right off from first tool. Had a tool compensation error and the machine just stoped. Went to hand jog the Z out from its hole and now everytime I go to jog that axis, it just goes to the IPS screen. Then it tells me that I am not in DRY RUN mode. Um, how do I get it back to hand jog mode so I may move the table and see what happened? Can th IPS be on even if program is from CAM program or does it only work if you "fat finger" a program in? Now I am thinking that the IPS and the CAM program are not working together? Did I not put enough info in the tool set up (in the IPS area) screen? Just when ya think you have it....

Error 367...

So, since I put that cute pic of the tools on now, I get "Error 357 G01 cannot be done with tool size". It is erroring (sp?) on the G42 for that tool. Do I have to enter a wear in the IPS tool set up? I really cant do that as that will affect other features that that tool does later on in the program. Best bet, turn IPS off again?

IPS should not affect your setup, if you put in a diameter, but set your CAM to out put wear compensation code; it will not work. You do not need to input a diameter to get the cute pictures. If you want the diameter in there, you could select the control cutter comp option in your CAM system instead.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks