587,958 active members*
3,342 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Considering a purchase

I am considering the purchase of a mill with the Duality lathe. My concept has been turned into CAD files in both SolidWorks and IGES. I even have prototypes that my designer made on his CNC so I know the parts can all be made with a mill and lathe. I have no experience with machining, but I learn very fast. I have a few questions that I though I would ask existing Tormach owners:

Would it be best to attend a Tormach workshop at their facility in WI?

What CAM software would work best with the PCNC and Mach 3 to make my G code? There seem to be a bunch of them.

Would it be better to farm out the G code to someone who knows how to do that for the PCNC?

What about finding and hiring another owner who is experienced and having them make my parts while I watch and video it? That way I would have an exact reference to follow right from the start. Then I could learn more about all the stuff as I went on. My designer is only a few hours from me, but he doesn't have a PCNC. Still I could get him to show me how to do it either on his machines or on my own as an option.

I am going to be making four parts: two out of 6061 that need to be turned with a little milling, one out of polycarbonate that is mostly milled (I'm still so new that I don't really know the way to make that one) and one out of some hard plastic (the prototypes are Derlin) that will be turned.

Thank you for your time.

Photos of the parts would help. How many of each do you plan to make. You may not even need CNC, lathe or mill.

Phil

There are always lots of ways to make the same parts, so pictures/drawings would be helpful in order to answer your questions.

test prices

Why don't you test the prices in the market first? Go to RFQwork.com and post your drawings. See what the prices are and calculate whether it is really worth buying equipment and learning the programming.

If you are a beginner to CAD/CAM/CNC then you have a huge learning curve ahead. If you are fascinated in the process and think it will become an enjoyable passion - then you have the main justification to proceed. Otherwise you would be better purchasing your parts and saving yourself the many hours involved.