587,383 active members*
3,629 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

No Z axis movment its driving me crazy

I just installed the Uc 400eth and the Ucnc software and imported my xml from mach 3 everything works but the Z axis for some reason, i can not figure out!

I went back to mach and the smooth stepper z works fine there ,so what am i missing that would disable the Z axis in Uccnc software,the axis is set up enabled and it will not jog? or move from the MDI screen DRO moves no axis movement.

I thought maybe soft limits, disabled them, checked x and y axis settings against the z no problem i am kind of lost at this point, i am sure it is something stupid that i am not aware of
    so maybe some one with more experience with this software could point me in the right direction,and could save me!!!

Re: No Z axis movment its driving me crazy

I'm surprised that anything works.
    An .xml from a machine using a smoothstepper would likely have different pin numbers than what you're using on the UC400.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

No they are exactly the same , for some reason i am not getting the step and direction signal out of the Uc 400 eth , and i can not change the pin out as it is on a dedicated servo break out board with ac servos and encoders.

I imported my smoothstepper/Gecko 540 Mach 3 xml and it worked fine for the 400ETH. Just had to rev the X direction active low check box. Under configuration tab ---> Z axis make sure the "axis enabled" is checked. Then click "Apply Setting" and then "save". I found out the hard way that unless you click apply setting and save the program defaults back to original setting the next time the program is started.

Mach3 corrupts its xml file all by itself regularly so that file is about as trustworthy as a goat in a vegetable patch.

I updated uccnc version just the other day. Even going between uccnc versions, cnc drive recommended not using old xml and entering values manually. I simply opened both versions and flicked between the two doing exactly that, took no more than two or three minutes.

Are the step and dir ports and pins settings for the Z axis the same if you compare with loading mach3 and after the uccnc?
    Do you have any enable signals or charge pumps setup?
    You might want to check them also, I remember I had an enable setting problem first when I started using the uccnc and did an xml import.

The problem has been solved ,the nice man at Cncdrive figured it out,when Ucnc imports the XML. file it does not import the outputs except to motors.

It did not import the output's to enable the drives and i guess i just missed it when i was configuring the motors.
    Heck i have not reconfigured the software on this thing in years,i was kind of waiting for something better to come along and i guess it has!

Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement.

I tend to open both files in notepad++ in compare mode. differences are highlighted. or I use the old posix (open source Unix) stand by diff.
    Robi