587,189 active members*
2,688 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Which one should I keep?

Guys, I have a tough decision to make. I need to sell one of my machines, but which one?

First is my CNC G0704 with rolled ball screws, the other is my CNC router with aluminum T-slot top, GROUND ball screw linear actuators by Parker, and a 22"x22"x 3" work area. It is rigid, and precise. but no reverse, no room for a vise, and no R8.

I mainly work with aluminum, and use 1/4 and 1/8 end mills. The G0704 has a slow spindle speed, and I know I can go belt drive, buy I am always having to check the gibs for tightness, rolled screws, etc.

But G0704 I can use a vise, R8, drill, tap, etc.

My problem is a part that takes 60 mins on the G0704, takes only 13 minutes on the other machine. It's aluminum, and I have to use 1/8 end mill for the features.

The G0704 dosen't seem to leave as nice as a finish, prob due to gibs, RPM , and rolled screws, head weight.

I mist 91% alcohol on my aluminum.

Also I can upgrade my router to a Kavo, or similiar and ditch the router, and use it for 3D printing.

I seriously can't decide which one to sell, and need your help.

I know you guys will say depends on what you need it for...I machine primarily 3/8" MIC-6 and 6061, never any steel.

Attached the machines, and the parts I make.

I made the CNC router with American made Parker linear actuators, NOT a chinese cnc off ebay. I took the cover off one actuator so you can see the quality, the have debris protection, and accept air in to blow chips away as well.

Which one guys?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

5.jpg   6.jpg   7.jpg  

Flip a coin, heads - g0704, tails - router.
    While the coin is in the air you'll likely be hoping it's one over the other, that will tell you.
    If you gotta say best 2 out of 3, that will tell you too.
    Betting you hope for tails, sounds to me like that's what you want.
    Send the g0704 to someone that might want to cut steel.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Hoss,

Got the G0704 because of you..lol.

I put a lot of work into it, and admire it. I bought the quick change R8 and vise, so I'm invested in all aspects.

How is your 7000 RPM working (belt drive) with 1/8 end mills? Is it fast enough for you? (surface finish)

With R8, what is the max RPM I can go? with AC bearings of course..

Heads once, tails twice.

Here's one thing I make with the alum...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8.jpg  

73 views, and 1 opinion

it sounds like you like the router better, but you haven't gone into any detail about why you need to sell, why the mill is in an office while the router is in a garage, why you need a machine and where you might take the business(?) later. Like Hoss said, flip a coin. And don't expect to make a profit on the sale unless your name is Foam DeCaussin or Foam Tormach.

The mill and router are both in my garage, they are paneled walls.

I showed why I need a machine, the materials I machine, and the parts I make.

I have been profiting for 8 years selling CNC machines.

Thanks for your opinion Hans G.

If the machine is to make money and one makes the needed parts in 13 minutes and one makes them in 60 minutes I think the choice is fairly clear if you can only keep one of them. Even if you up the spindle to double with just the gear mod its still looks like you are talking about twice as long as your router maybe a bit more if you went to a belt drive and 5 to 6K.

The only thing that would compensate is if you needed to machine things that were outside the realm of what can be made from a flat sheet or be clamped reasonably to the bed of the router. Also any boring operations. Then a vice and heavy machine comes in quite handy.

Seems to me that if your router is fast, accurate, and ridged enough to make your parts for profit in AL that it would be the choice for me to keep.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Thank you photomankc,

Are you in Kansas City, by chance?

Yep. I live in the Northland Area.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

So, the router is faster, more reliable, better built, but has a few limitations.

The mill is slower, needs constant adjustments, but can do a couple of things that the router cannot do.

I say go for reliability. The router works. The mill is a problem child. Keep the router.

Frederic

here is what is going to happen......

2 weeks after either one is sold you will come across a project that you will end up saying "Damn I wish I still had that other machine"

#1 rule of thumb, dont sell tools! You will need them in 2 weeks!

It sounds like you prefer the router and that it does the work that you need of it. Sell the G0704 and use some of the money to invest in a second head for the router that would work with drill chucks, ER collets, or other more general purpose tool holders. Taig and Sherline heads are especially easy to adapt to other tools, but you could probably make almost anything fairly light work.

Thanks for your input guys...

Guess the truth of the matter is to keep both, as Fixittt stated.

I know, I asked you guys which ONE.

Let's see what the wife says about this, if you don't here from me again, you will know what happened...lol.

I could not have cut this today, in my router, not enough Z clearance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9.jpg  

its a simple matter of "the right tool for the right job" You have 2 different tools for 2 different jobs.......

All my cnc`s are desktop models (think taig size) so to be able to use them, I have to get manageable pieces of material. Which is why I also have a 1979 round column larger jet mill. Its not going to hold any type of tolerances, but man can it fly cut the hell out of aluminum! I could not feed the CNC`s without it!

I second what fixxittt says "its a simple matter of "the right tool for the right job" You have 2 different tools for 2 different jobs....... "

If you MUST get rid of one "tool" then upgrade the router to have a bigger Z.

I have my CNC Router and a manual Jet Mill that I use for face milling. IE, get to use my R8's.

It looks like he might get to keep both. However the original question was which "one" to keep. Not how do I keep both. We can all justify the machines in our garages/shops but can we make something we already have do the job? Btw the finish on the aluminum with the router looks great from here! Did you build the stepper mounts for the G0704? I like the slots, allows for imperfections I am guessing.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Fastest1,

Yes, I cut the mounts stepper mounts for the 704, on the Parker router, 3/8" MIC-6.

The slots allow me to fasten plates together without having to drill and tap holes and like you said have some alignment as well. One Slot captures the nut, and intersecting slot is for the cap screw.

It's a real time saver, and you end up with steel threads instead of alum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11.jpg  

Here is the Z axis 25mm ball nut mount for the G704 I cut on the cnc router, it is 3/4" 6061.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12.jpg   13.jpg  

Regarding surface finish, here is what I was able to do on the G704.....1/4 flat 3FL carbide endmill..

No finsh pass, rough pass only, pretty damn good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14.jpg   15.jpg  

Surface finish from the router, G704 X axis ball nut mount.

I love both machines, and do not favor one over the other.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12