587,837 active members*
3,519 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help: what bits needed?

So I've bought a cnc router and it comes with a 1/8th inch and a 6 mm collet. I'm going to be cutting into aluminium. What bits should I be getting? Flutes? Length? Etc

Thanks and feel free to answer stupidly to stupid question! Lol

Hi.....not one of those aluminium 3040 type routers that promises the Earth but barely mills hard plastic?

Well a good reason they only let you have a 6mm maximum cutter shank size, which you'll find plenty on EBAY.

High Speed Steel cutters are cheaper but wear out quicker and carbide cost a lot more, lasts longer but is prone to chipping the cutter edges if you aren't careful, and you can snap a cutter of very quickly by feeding too quick and too slow a speed.

For aluminium try 2 flute ones as opposed to a 4 flute which with shallow flutes will clog up with ally quickly and also use a bit of Kerosene SPARINGLY in a plastic spray bottle to stop the clogging happening......you can also use WD40 in a spray can, but it cost more.
    Ian.

Hie there newbie here and not so sure about the question but if this is mentioning about cutting an aluminium then some suggestion here may want to share. Cutting by using 3F endmill may gets better result for surface finishing even 3F endmill (chipbreaker) are better than 4F. For chamfering,corner radius and etc 1F cutter may get the better result.

Just want to share some suggestion.