587,229 active members*
3,866 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Any thoughts on how to fix this metal bender?

Any thoughts on how to fix this metal bender?

Cheap chinese crap! Bought this and used very thin aluminum sheet to make maybe 5 bends and now the table has shifted, looks like the side pins (built in) crapped out, or something. Place I bought it at won't refund or allow a swap.

In any case any idea how to fix something like this? Really don't want to throw it away. I was thinking that maybe changing out the roll pins or something might work, but need some ideas.

Here is a picture of the product I bought. Thanks...

I suppose it's hard to comment since no roll pins are evident in the picture. I guess you are stuck in hell for now.

You get what you pay for.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    I suppose it's hard to comment since no roll pins are evident in the picture. I guess you are stuck in hell for now.

You get what you pay for.
    Matt
    Yea, I here you. The pins that the table rolls on are sandwiched between the side plates for each bending surface/table.

If the pins themselves are damaged, replace them with larger and/or harder pins. If the frame is bent or the leaves are bent, I would say scrap it.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    If the pins themselves are damaged, replace them with larger and/or harder pins. If the frame is bent or the leaves are bent, I would say scrap it.
    Problem is, it appears to be all cast, with the pins built in. I guess I could cut them out and maybe weld some round stock in?

Yes. You will probably have to machine the old pins out.

Cast iron is not easily weldable
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Take a moment to consider making your own. Use any of a number of plans that float around the net or in old magazines.

Sadly much of the low end stuff from HF isn't worth the money that you have paid for it. As to the place that you bought it from the you might try throwing it through there window if they don't take returns in the normal manner. Err just kidding there, you don't want to do anything illegal however if the product is defective and they refuse replacement, you could always take them to court.

Sheet metal benders are one of those things that you can often make cheaper than purchasing and frankly of higher quality.

Can be made cheaper...if you do not value your time or labor highly.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Can be made cheaper...if you do not value your time or labor highly.
    That may be true, but on the other hand these really cheap imports aren't worth your hard earned cash. Not that you can't buy decent imports, just that the bargain basement ones are pretty much a joke.