587,943 active members*
3,250 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Toolchange triggers Reset

Anyone had a tool change in program trigger a reset? I can clear the reset, re-home and manually do a tool change fine. I can them start my program and when a automated tool change is requested it just sits there and a few seconds later it triggers a reset. This is basically a new lathe, less than 10 hours on it and it has just started this.

I am awaiting a phone call from tormach support as well but thought I would see if anyone else has seen this....
    Donald

Re: Toolchange triggers Reset

Are you using a turret ? If so there is an adjustment for this on the old style turret. I am not sure on the new turret's if they have the same procedure.

Page 25 show the adjustment of the lock sensor on the new style turret.

http://www.tormach.com/uploads/997/T...0216B-pdf.html

I don't see the document for the old style turret.

Tormach Tech Support is very helpful for this adjustment

Chris

Yes I am using a turret, looks to be the old style. It is about 6 months old.

So you are thinking it is the lock sensor needing adjustment?
    It seems to lock in position perfectly.

When the problem occurs, the program hits a tool change, it sits there turret does nothing, then after about 5 seconds it resets. It never even tries to change the tool.
    Donald

I finally got a call from Tormach, super nice people.

They gave me a test to try, as they believe it is a software issue with 1.9.3.

So I will be writing a program to change tool for each tool position and verify if it is one position/all/or just random. Then update to 1.9.4b and test again. They seem to believe this will resolve it.

I hope so as I have lots of parts to make.....using peck tapping no less which is so cool!
    Donald

I had the same problem with a turret-equipped lathe that was delivered last November. PP would reset every time the turret commanded a tool change and the problem went away after a lot of trouble shooting including a loose wire, swapping in/out the control board, and adjusting the proximity sensor.

Be careful to fully adjust that sensor. Mine was a little off and the turret would not completely lock into position so that the turret would rotate back a bit on a heavy cut like a parting operation. The manual suggests that the prox sensor position be located pretty precisely, about 20 thou past the point where the red LED illuminates. The locking arrangement for that sensor is really finicky and it is very easy to over or undershoot, at least it was for me. I eventually worked out a way to more precisely locate the sensor with an adjust parallel which was briefly described elsewhere in this forum.

Ok.
    Well I did the test tormach had be do and about every 30 tool changes it does it. Not any certain spot. I tried 1.9.4b and 1.9.5 and both had the issue.

Mr Henry any help on making the adjustments easier I welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Donald

Donald,

See this thread here for a brief description of what I did:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...0-tormach.html

and let me know if you have any questions.

Other than that, do the resets happen on all tool changes or is it just for one or two stations? In my case it was only on one station, T2 I think, and that error was apparently a loose wire in either the turret itself or the turret control board inside the control cabinet.

Appears so far not to be a particular station.

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by dneisler View Post
    Appears so far not to be a particular station.

Well, then, at least you don't have to waste time tracing down all of the tool number wires. You might still have an issue with a bad proximity sensor wire though. Have you verified that the sensor LED cycles correctly on both good and bad tool changes?

Well I adjusted the sensor, what a PITA that is with the enclosure on. It appears to be working now and hopefully I didn't do it wrong and introduce another issue.

I would have not thought that was the issue by my symptoms, but appears I was wrong. Thanks everyone for you help here.
    Donald

Please report back after you've had a chance to give the lathe a workout and let us know if adjusting the sensor was a long-term fix for the problem.