587,787 active members*
3,069 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Powermax 1250 vs 85

I found a used 1250 with machine & hand torch's for 2750.00. I can get a new PM85 with hand & machine torch's for 3800.00. So is the PM85 worth the extra 1050.00?

Not the easiest question in the world to answer! The 1250 is an 80 Amp air plasma.....it was discontinued by Hypertherm last year at this time......because it was replaced by the Powermax85.

The 85 is an 85 amp air plasma.....it is smaller and lighter than the 1250 (new power supply technology) it has a higher duty cycle rating......it has a higher output voltage rating (thicker cutting) and it has a new torch design (Duramax,...using a new "spring electrode" and conical flow nozzle) that will provide longer consumable life, cleaner, squarer cuts....and faster cut speeds...along with dramatically longer consumable life. There also is a better quick disconnect on the torch...making it easier to switch from hand to machine torch.....and a quick disconnect on the work ground cable. The 85 also has automatic air pressure (no setting required) as well as a digital display with diagnostic info.

You can get the same Duramax torch as an upgrade for the Powermax1250...which give you many advantages over the original torch.

So...the 1250 is a great plasma....Hypertherm's competitors were still working to catch up.....when Hypertherm introduced the 85. They are both great air plasma systems....and the price for the Powermax 1250...assuming it is in good condition...is a steal.

Oh....the new 85 will have a warranty.....

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by NorthridgeFab View Post
    I found a used 1250 with machine & hand torch's for 2750.00. I can get a new PM85 with hand & machine torch's for 3800.00. So is the PM85 worth the extra 1050.00?

We just bought a PowerMax85 plasma to replace our Hypermax1000 unit.

This new model is great.
    It's like night and day difference.
    We split about 120 lin.ft. of beams with 5/8" web.
    We stitch cut cut them every 36" or so.
    The tip is still in good condition.

I decided to go with the PM85 because it's newer technology.
    Yeah I could have saved a little cash on the older model, but if the consumables last longer, it will pay for itself in no time.

I also like the automatic air pressure regulator.
    Not sure if the 1250 has that feature.

Thanks for the replys. PM85 it is!

I have a 1650 and am seriously considering a 85. CandCnc just annouced a module that can talk to the 45, 65 and 85. Even adjust amps from the screen. Our 1650 is awesome to be sure but the new duramax torch and the ability to comm with the software may put it over the top.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Quote Originally Posted by WSS View Post
    I have a 1650 and am seriously considering a 85. CandCnc just annouced a module that can talk to the 45, 65 and 85. Even adjust amps from the screen. Our 1650 is awesome to be sure but the new duramax torch and the ability to comm with the software may put it over the top.

WSS
    I'm interested in this. My Bladerunner system is still being built, may have to add this module to the order. Is the module on candcnc's site?

http://www.candcnc.com/HT-DTHCII-Help.html

It was pre-announced on the support forum today.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

The serial interface module from CandCNC will only work with the Powermax65 and 85......not with the 45. You also will have diagnostic info as well as air pressure control...opens up a new world of automation with the air plasma systems. We have been doing this for years with our high end industrial plasmas.....with those we have systems where the operator only chooses the material thickness....everythin else is automated!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by WSS View Post

WSS