587,818 active members*
3,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Anilam Power

Anilam Power

Hello all,
    I just picked up a Bridgeport Series I with a Anilam Crusader M 3 axis CNC. My question is what power requirement does the Anilam system require. I know the spindle is 3 phase and that I can work on (new single phase motor, VFD, RPC etc) just wondering if the anilam side runs off 110 or 220 3ph. I dont have the machine in my possesion yet so I would just like a little info so I can think about what I need to do for it.
    Thanks
    Scott

Got the mill the other day It has 220 3phase powering the spindle and 110V runs the controller and drive motors. There is a power box on the back of the controller which I assume is a spindle on/off control the 220 feeds into and out to the spindle motor and there are two small wires from inside the controller box. If I put a VFD on to run the spindle where is a good place to mount the VFD, I was thinking on top of the controller box. I hear alot about these interferring with the CNC part of the mill. Would there be noise issues with a VFD mounted on the box. What would be a good VFD for a 1hp bridgeport? I was reading other threads and am leaning toward the Hitachi models.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails controller power.JPG   bp controller.jpg  

A VFD puts out a lot of RF (Radio Frequency) interference, especially the output conductors. Using shielded VFD cable going from the drive to the motor helps a lot, as does keeping the VFD in a separate enclosure. Most electronics however can be safely put in the same box as the VFD, it's done all the time. Just be extra careful about running the motor leads. Keep them short inside the enclosure and either in conduit (metal) or use shielded conductors and you should be fine.

So if I mount the VFD on top of the controller box where I can get to it, to control spindle speed that should be okay? I would like to put it up where the oil can is in the picture.
    Thanks