587,675 active members*
3,553 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Retrofit of a Hamill controlled Bridgeport

This is my Build-log for my Bridgeport Series 1 retrofit.

I just picked up a series 1 Bridgeport with a J head. The Hamill control was only partially working when I picked up the machine. It move the 3 axis, but a one of the switches is broken and the several of the buttons were finicky.

I'm thinking that I will toss th Hamill control and up Mach 3 and some compatible servo drivers. I was informed that the servo's are PMI- Kollmorgan U-Series ServoDisc U16M4.

I'm taking the Bridgeport apart to move it into my basement. I can't have a business in the garage where I live. I'm taking my time since I don't want to damage anything.

Jack

I have started pulling the Bridgeport apart and have the step-head and the drives off. I have partailly disassemblied one of the drives and have determined that I will need to put in a new encoder pn the servos. I ordered 3 AMT102-V encoders and 3 Whale DC servo drives, plus breakout boards.

I need to source 3 220uH 11amp inductors to ensure that the drives will function correctly. I will be checking the Hamill control box to see if I can scavenge both the inductors and what power supplies are built-in. I will need an 80VDC, 30A supply.

Pictures will follow shortly.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jbman999 View Post
    Pictures will follow shortly.

Jack
    I used to program/run a Hamill with 4 axes. Still have Sam Hamill's contact info somewhere, I think. Smart guy. I'd be interested to see what you come up with. Axis drive motors were pretty good, and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by beege View Post
    ...Axis drive motors were pretty good, and accurate.
    The servo motors on this Bridgeport are Kollmorgan U-series Servodisc's. When I saw the machine running it was smooth and quiet. Every par t of the CNC conversion I have looked at so far seems to be well thought out.

Jack