587,719 active members*
3,435 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal VMC15 CNC88 spindle issues

Fadal VMC15 CNC88 spindle issues

Morning guys.

I have a VMC15 machine with a CNC88 controller. The machine has been working great but just recently I have run into an issue.

The spindle will only turn on once (for a tool change or program) and then thats it. To make it do a tool change or turn on with a M3/M4 in a program I need to hit the emergency stop and then reset the axis drivers by hitting manual then jog. Doing this it will work fine once doing a tool change or program but after that, the spindle won't move. There are no errors on the screen. If I reset the drivers I can manually start the spindle in MDI as many times as I want but if I command a tool change or program it will only start the spindle once.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Nick

Sounds like your brain got scrambled.

I would ZERO the memory. To do this first you need to copy all the parameters and backlash settings.
    At the ENTER NEXT COMMAND Promt type SETP
    there will be 3 or 5 pages.
    Press the P key to go to the next page.
    copy all the info.

Next from ENTER NEXT COMMAND Type BL and press enter.
    write down the BL numbers for Back lash.

Also if you have a way to download all your programs you need to do that too because after this everything will be got and need to to be reloaded. If you don't have your programs backed up they will just be gone.

Now at ENTER NEXT COMMAND type DI and press enter.

Then type G0 (zero not the letter O) spacebar 3000 and press enter.
    G0 3000 is what you will see,

You should see a menu
    Press the space bar to tab thru the pages.
    Page 2 should have the ZERO memory I think it is 3
    after you press 3 it will tell you everything will be lost do you want to continue?
    follow the directions and power the machine down and reload everything you backed up earlier

It sounds complicated but it won't take mush longer than it took to read this to do it.

Itt

Thanks for the response. I will definitely give that a shot. Its odd I didnt get any errors on the screen, the machine just sat there. But I'm thinking since I can reset it there isnt a hardware issue, its more of a software/control issue, agree?

Is there any fault indication on the spindle drive?

That was the first thing I checked and there wasnt any stored.

I don't think it's a hardware issue since you can run it in MDI. If it was I don't think it would run in MDI. If zeroing the memory doesn't solve it I will be surprised. But if not there are 2 LEDs on the 1100-2 card that give the spindle permission to run. 1for MP3 and 1 for m4. I'd you have a rigid tap machine both will be on at the same time. What is the serial number of the machine that will tell us the year model. You can also type mu and press enter then press backspace to display the software version. It be shown in the top left side of the CRT.

Thanks for the info, I will check that tonight when I get into the shop.

Update. I cleared the memory and no change, but I did figure out whats causing it.

Since we got this machine (used, only have had it for a few years), the spindle goes about half speed than what is commanded. Going thru the inverter manual it looks like it was just set wrong. I changed the "frequency at 5v input) to the 10k RPM output by the CNC88 and it made the spindle run the correct speed. But that is also what stopped it from working correctly. I put this back to the original setting and it worked again.

So obviously I need to change another setting, any idea what? The inverter is a Mitsubishi FR-Z220-3.7K-UL.

I was mistaken on the machine also, its a VMC20 SN 9004166

Thanks guys.