587,147 active members*
5,662 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hypertherm 1000 misfire issue...

We have 1000 with a T60M torch. Using Mach3 and the Interface card from CandCNC mounted internally in the power unit. Water is auto drained at the compressor tank, and ran through two mesh air water separators before going through an HF compressor/dryer.

Table is grounded outside to a grounding rod with #4 ground braid, maybe an 8 foot run. Gantry and torch head mounts are also grounded. I don't always directly ground the sheet, but I do have a mag ground that I use if needed.

We use this setup daily in a production environment. Maybe 5-20 times per sheet mach will attempt to fire the torch, the unit will have a solid red torch error LED and Mach will hold. Usually this requires a "Freehold - Torch Off - Torch On - Run" sequence clicked through on Mach and the machine will fire and pierce with no issues. Sometimes the power unit has to be power cycled, or the consumables re-seated to get the unit operational again.

Any ideas on this? I've checked the consuable safety switch wiring (which is just soldered together, switch long since broken) and it seems fine. We just replaced:

Hypertherm Kit:T60/80 Machine Torch Main Body Replacement 128640
    and
    Hypertherm Kit:T60/T60M/T80/T80M/RT80 Torch Head Repair 128521

For other reasons, but hoping it would solve this issue as well. It did not.

The Powermax 1000 is a blowback start torch...this technology uses the cutting air pressure to physically slide the electrode back away from the nozzle inside the torch, this creates a short circuit spark that ionizes the air flow, getting the plasma process started. The electrode must move freely inside the torch...and it uses the swirl ring as a bearing to ensure free movement. Here are the things that can go wrong, and will cause misfiring on this torch:

-Worn out consumables. The two pieces that wear most are the nozzle and the electrode. As these parts wear...there will be some buildup of hafnium oxide (the electrode emmitter is hafnium) on the face of the electrode and the inside bore of the nozzle....this material is less conductive than the copper base material...and ultimately will cause misfires after the consumables are mostly worn. You can get a few more starts by cleaning the end of the electrode and the inner bore of the nozzle with a scotchbrite pad. Depending on what you are cutting...expect the nozzle and electrode to last between 300 and 1500 starts...assuming your air supply is clean, dry, and oil free.

- The swirl ring can be damaged , cracked or have a burr...this will cause misfiring. Swirl rings can last for hundreds of thousands of starts....but can be damaged by overheating, or mishandling (dropping) etc.

-The retaining cap directs air flow to the electrode and the shield (plasma and secondary flow). A retaining cap can last as long as a swirl ring...but when worn or damaged it can affect torch firing.

-Non Hypertherm consumables....there are a variety of companies that produce cheaper versions of consumables that will fit in the Hypertherm torch. They do not hold anywhere near the tolerances that the genuine parts hold...and will cause misfiring and worse...overheating and damage to the internal torch components.

-Overtightened retaining cap....this is fairly common. When the cap is too tight it will distort the swirl ring....which locks up the electrode movement...and causes misfiring. Keep the oring on the torch body lubed with (oring lube only) and gently snug the retaining cap.

-Low inlet air pressure...or a restriction in the inlet flow. It is possible that when the compressor is at the low side of its cycle...that there is inadequate inlet pressure to maintain the flow required to fie the torch. best bet is to install an air pressure gauge right at the rear panel inlet...the pressure (when the air is flowing at the torch....to do this turn the amperage knob fully ccw) needs to be between 90 and 135 psi.

-Output pressure to torch too low or too high. Follow the directions in the operators manual to properly set the torch pressure using the front panel LED's...this must be set with the air flowing (Amperage know fully ccw). Pressure too low will not allow electrode movement...too high will blow out the pilot arc.

-Low input power...or a momentary droop in input voltage caused by another piece of equipment starting at the same time will cause an occasional misfire.

-Worn out torch...internal air leaks in torch assembly. Inspect the spring loaded torch plunger for free movement...and look at the contact surface where it connects to the electrode. Over time the plunger can build up some arc marks in this area...and should be repaired or replaced.

There probably are a few more things to look at...but this is certainly most of the misfiring troubleshooting.

There is a great new torch upgrade available for your plasma...it is the new Duramax torch...the same one used on the newer Powermax65, 85 and 105 systems. No moving plunger, no issue with overtigtening the retaing cap, squrer cleaner cuts and dramatically longer consumable life.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

-

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyevil View Post
    We have 1000 with a T60M torch. Using Mach3 and the Interface card from CandCNC mounted internally in the power unit. Water is auto drained at the compressor tank, and ran through two mesh air water separators before going through an HF compressor/dryer.

Table is grounded outside to a grounding rod with #4 ground braid, maybe an 8 foot run. Gantry and torch head mounts are also grounded. I don't always directly ground the sheet, but I do have a mag ground that I use if needed.

We use this setup daily in a production environment. Maybe 5-20 times per sheet mach will attempt to fire the torch, the unit will have a solid red torch error LED and Mach will hold. Usually this requires a "Freehold - Torch Off - Torch On - Run" sequence clicked through on Mach and the machine will fire and pierce with no issues. Sometimes the power unit has to be power cycled, or the consumables re-seated to get the unit operational again.

Any ideas on this? I've checked the consuable safety switch wiring (which is just soldered together, switch long since broken) and it seems fine. We just replaced:

Hypertherm Kit:T60/80 Machine Torch Main Body Replacement 128640
    and
    Hypertherm Kit:T60/T60M/T80/T80M/RT80 Torch Head Repair 128521

For other reasons, but hoping it would solve this issue as well. It did not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails powermaxpressuregauge 001.jpg   powermaxpressuregauge 002.jpg  

Awesome response, thanks so much sir! We will work down this list.

Re: Hypertherm 1000 misfire issue...

Hello there ive been reading the info on torch missfire and i have an issue i cant seem to solve ive got a mach3 5 axis board running 4 steppers 2 for gantry ive been cutting out sheet steel shapes and the plasma torch just stops getting a signal of output 1 ive connected my meter on the output side of board were ime getting the closed circuit to trigger torch meter buzzes out getting cotinuety when torch is signaled but it loses signal half way threw cut ime thinking its software issue so reinstalling xp and mach3 to iliminate software any ideas

Re: Hypertherm 1000 misfire issue...

If the output drops for just a fraction of a second the torch will turn off and not refire until you turn it off and for a full second or two. You probably won't catch it with a meter. I doubt re-installing software will help.