587,687 active members*
3,620 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Gecko drive easy to understand schematic ( Need Help)
Page 1 of 8 123

Hybrid View

Gecko drive easy to understand schematic ( Need Help)

I am trying to work on a set of drawings that makes it very easy to understand how to wire Gecko stepper drives. (Even for those of us who are electricallly challenged)
    I need help with knowing about the stepper resistors. I presume they are wired in series with the windings? What is the formula for working out the size of resistors needed?
    What other aspects need to be taken into account when doing these drawings.
    Your input will help me and others here too.

This is a beta drawing and should not be use as a wiring guide.

Quote Originally Posted by ynneb
    I need help with knowing about the stepper resistors. I presume they are wired in series with the windings?
    There are no resistors, other than the current set resistor.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Make sure your +5V and 24-80V power supply have a common ground, along with your step and dir signals.

Ger, does that mean the gecko drives are designed in such a way that they do not require the power resistors, unlike in some other board designs ?

Tommy, from my understanding the 5 volts DC comes from the printer cable itself. are you suggesting that a ground wire be run from the computer case to the stepper power supply? I cant understand why? could you please explain this further. Thanks.

Ger, does that mean the gecko drives are designed in such a way that they do not require the power resistors, unlike in some other board designs ?

Tommy, from my understanding the 5 volts DC comes from the printer cable itself. are you suggesting that a ground wire be run from the computer case to the stepper power supply? I cant understand why? could you please explain this further. Thanks.
    Chopper drives don't use current limiting resistors. Only some of the cheaper unipolar non chopper boards.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

looking for easy to understand schematic for G540

Newbie here looking for info...

Does anybody know where I can find a diagram similar to post #1 of this string but for a G540? I'm looking to connect 4 steppers, a coolant pump, and to have the G540 control the spindle.

TIA for any help!
    -4ist

The grounds can be connected, but should not have to be.

Darek

My intention is to build a one stop file that includes everything from wiring the printer ports, building a power supply, wiring the drives, etc.

What else should I include in this drawing?

My intention is to build a one stop file that includes everything from wiring the printer ports, building a power supply, wiring the drives, etc.

What else should I include in this drawing?

First comment: Nearly every site on the web calls the motor windings A+, A-, B+,B- You should include that to reduce confusion.

Second Comment: My power supply has a huge capacitor, a diode bridge, and a large hollow resistor across the top of the capacitor. Is is optional and why?

Eric

I would say three of the important criteria for any installation is shielding, common grounding and not to daisy chain the power supply from drive to drive.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Printer port

Does any one know where I can find a standard pin configuration for wiring a printer port for a standard 3 axis machine?

Good points AL, What are the wires that need sheilding? And where do the shilds go to? Ground?

Quote Originally Posted by ynneb View Post
    Good points AL, What are the wires that need sheilding? And where do the shilds go to? Ground?

I'm curious , could you tellme how to deteremine the right power supply. Also, i have a cncmasters mill and rumor has it that the drives are geckos, however the gentleman that's doing the retrofitting, at cncmasters, states otherwise and that they are made just for these particualr machines. He further stated that they are rated at 5 amperes.
    In another thread here some time ago, a few poeple claimed that they were gecko 202's, including Mr. Mausch.

i do know therearealot of drivers that appear to be the same, butare made in china and work very well.
    Is there any way to identify them, I do know they don't say gecko on them, but there may be other ways to tell, and alot of ppeople don't wnat to let out who there source is or trade secrets. The only reason I'm asking, is that , very soon down the road, i may be rebuildig this controller, so i can use mach 3.
    Thanks
    Mark

Cooling suggestions.

Looks nice so far Benny! Going to do one for the servo drivers?
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

Fusing geckos on the dc side?

Could someone elaborate a little about fusing the gecko drives. I've been told that it's a bad idea to fuse on the dc side, but every schematic i look at shows this.

Fusing Reply

m8kingit,

In the manuals written by Gecko, (in my case i will quote from the G540 manual to use something as a reference) it states in Item 4:

Quote:
    Switch the AC side of the power supply for ON/OFF

Now this is due to surge currents/spikes induced when you flick a switch. If you fuse or put a switch on the DC side, the spike "may" peak above the component tolerance and release the built in smoke.

If you switch on the AC side, the switch induced spike gets smoothed and should never cause problems.

/M

Quote Originally Posted by mikie View Post
    m8kingit,

In the manuals written by Gecko, (in my case i will quote from the G540 manual to use something as a reference) it states in Item 4:

Quote:
    Switch the AC side of the power supply for ON/OFF

Now this is due to surge currents/spikes induced when you flick a switch. If you fuse or put a switch on the DC side, the spike "may" peak above the component tolerance and release the built in smoke.

If you switch on the AC side, the switch induced spike gets smoothed and should never cause problems.

/M
    I wasn't inquiring about switches, I was inquiring about fusing! Two different aspects here

It pays to set up a common ground point and take everything to there, including one end of the cable shields.
    Siemens have an article on grounding.http://www.automation.siemens.com/do...05_e&scope=all
    This is a bit extensive, but you can pick the bones out of it.
    Look at EMC planning.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Connecting the stepper supply ground to signal ground is not normally done. On the G212 drives that I have the documentation states, "These inputs are optically isolated from the rest of the drive."

In all the process control computers that I've designed, built and programmed over the last twenty-five years, one constant source of electrical noise problems was caused when my customers connected the different circuits that were optically isolated from each other together.

Mike

Page 1 of 8 123