587,699 active members*
3,605 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Using twisted pairs for the thick fingered.

Using twisted pairs for the thick fingered.

Long story short, what gauge wire can I use between the BOB and drives? Looking at the front panel switches to a computer I'm building shows much thinner than I'm using in my control box. What's the thinnest safe gauge for a signal wire?

Personally for low current control wiring, I prefer 16g or 18g, many times, this may be overkill as far as current is concerned but it is far more nicer to put under terminals and crimp ends on etc than 20g and smaller.
    When using single conductor stranded I use TR64 as it has a high voltage rating but has a much thinner insulation that MTW or TEW etc, which make alot of difference in wire capacity when using wiring trough for example.
    In most cases wiring in the machine for servo's etc, do not skimp in gauge as it usually has to be in situations where flexing occurs.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm not so dumb then. I was thinking small would be a PITA at the terminal to clamp. A long time ago between health problems I won three G251 drives. I'm finally putting a package of computer and drives together. A complete package in a mid tower case. The disability has progressed to Quad classification now. Each wire I manage to get in place is a small battle, but it's progressing. Better than OT. At least I can see build progress for all the frustration.

More power to you.
    Good luck:boxing: