588,069 active members*
4,787 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Fanuc encoders compatible with PICO

Fanuc encoders compatible with PICO

Hello,
    I am looking to see if anyone knows what encoders are compatible with the PICO conversion board?
    http://pico-systems.com/oscrc4/catal...products_id=29

I have a PINOUT for a A860-0315-T101 and I know it will work, But my question is what else is compatible. Manly this one, A860-0360-T001 Is there anywhere I can get a model number explanation?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wyobmf View Post
    Hello,
    I am looking to see if anyone knows what encoders are compatible with the PICO conversion board?
    http://pico-systems.com/oscrc4/catal...products_id=29

I have a PINOUT for a A860-0315-T101 and I know it will work, But my question is what else is compatible. Manly this one, A860-0360-T001 Is there anywhere I can get a model number explanation?

Thanks
    Any encoder with the 17-pin connector (MS3102A 20-29) should work. What this board does is convert Fanuc's four proprietary commutation signals to industry-standard Hall signals. It simply repeats the A B and Z encoder signals for convenience.

Actually, it uses the proprietary signals only during the first revolution of the motor, once the index pulse has come around, it uses the quadrature signals to produce more accurate commutation signals.

What motors are these encoders on? I might have more luck tracking down the compatibility from the motor number. The newer series have serial encoder output, usually with a 10-pin connector on the motor. But, I see they also have used a 17-pin connector on some, but the connector is a MS3106 type.

I don't have a converter for the Fanuc serial encoders yet, but if I can get one of these motors, I'd like to make one for them.

Jon

Jon,
    Thanks for the help. I have a machine that uses big Alpha series servos, with 10,000 Pulse encoders, Servos are models Alpha 22/3000 it has the C1, C2, C4 and C8 outputs that should work then correct?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wyobmf View Post
    Jon,
    Thanks for the help. I have a machine that uses big Alpha series servos, with 10,000 Pulse encoders, Servos are models Alpha 22/3000 it has the C1, C2, C4 and C8 outputs that should work then correct?
    Thanks
    Yes. That is basically what my board does, it converts the C1 -- C8 signals to industry-standard Hall signals. It has a jumper setting for the 10,000 pulse encoder.

Jon

Beware of encoders A860-0310-T021/T022/T023, They have the C1-C8 signals but are low level sinewave encoder.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.