587,682 active members*
3,491 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Computer Ready CNC micro mill?

Computer Ready CNC micro mill?

Hi guys,

I'm looking into getting a computer ready CNC mill. The work I intend to use it for is in my watchmaking hobby, primarily so I can machine my own watch dials (of which typically brass is used). As you could understand, the XYZ travels don't need to be huge, so I'm not sure which mill may be most appropriate for this application. I am looking for something at around $2000 if possible. Any recommendations?

For the money and quality look at a Taig with the a Gecko G540 controller.

http://www.deepgroove1.com/gecko/geckodriver.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails taig430front.jpg  
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Hi guys,

These are the machines available to me here in Aus:

http://www.taig.com.au/index.php?mai...82d92101437844

As you can see, there is a substantial price difference between these machines and the one listed above. Could anyone explain this?

I'm wondering whether I should go for a CNC ready machine here and get all the necessary parts; however, I would be much happier getting a "plug and play" machine. I've been told it will cost me near half the cost of the total machine to ship the quoted machine above here to Australia!

dre101,

The taig.com.au machines seem to be equipped with servo's other than that they are the same machines.

There must be a creative way to ship to OZ.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Those machines are the CNC equipped machines that Taig's sister company MicroProto ( http://www.microproto.com/ ) makes. After factoring the exchange rate they look to be about twice the price as here in the states. I suspect that it's probably quite expensive to import (shipping and any import duties) them hence the price difference.

Dealing with customs is an interesting situation, not matter what country you are in. I had a customer in Israel get charged $9.00 USD for releasing a box from customs because it was sent expedited. If it has been sent regular post or priority there would have been no extra charge.

I had mentioned in a PM that it might be possible to break down a 2019 into smaller packages to save on the shipping costs. I would be willing to give it a try by tearing down my own shop machine to see how it could be packed.

In a few weeks I'll have a complete 4-axis drive box ready to go. I have a few of them back-ordered already but I should have production quantities shortly. I could supply you with everything you need to get going, if the shipping can be sorted out.

Tell you what. I'll figure out how to break down the machine to make shipping reasonable in the next few days. Can you check with your local customs office to see if there is any crazy charges. Sometimes just the nomenclature used in the forms can make a difference. If I ship several boxes of parts that might be different than a machine?

You can contact me at [email protected]...
    Jeff Birt

Here is a bit of an extract from the following website and what I think the costs could be. See http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549#e989

As far as I can tell from the Australian Customs website Imported goods with a value less than AU $1000 can be imported duty free.

I haven’t looked for loopholes but Goods over Au $1000 (eg. Taig milling machine) are charged:

Customs duty (Duty) @ 5% of Customs value (Cval) and

Goods and Services Tax (GST) @ 10 per cent of the Value of the Taxable Importation (VoTI) (Cval+Duty+ International transport and insurance or postage)

"Note: However, where there are multiple packages to the same addressee in Australia from a single consignor overseas that arrive at about the same time, then the value of all packages will be combined for duty and tax assessment purposes."

The exchange rate is pretty good at the moment here are some quick calculations
    e.g.
    $US2200 Taig mill with control box = about $AU2500 + postage (say $US450) $AU505
    +5% duty on $AU 2500 = $AU 125 total $AU 2625
    Shipping $AU 505 total $AU3130
    +10% GST on $AU 3130 = $AU313 total $AU3443

Taig CNC Mill 2000 was $AU6,479.00 now $AU5,225.00 at www.taig.com.au

Total Saving of $AU1782 if you import your own

NOTE: I am no expert on customs i am just going of the info on their website

I am not sure if Taig Australia has done anything to adapt the mill to 240vac. I assume they would have if they are importing them. Their Taig lathes seem to come with a Sherline DC variable speed motor which can run on 240vac.