587,558 active members*
3,194 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Rough Cut Stock Material - QUIETLY!
Page 1 of 2 12

Rough Cut Stock Material - QUIETLY!

I've used my inexpensive grizzly bandsaw to rough-cut stock for the past year (link: http://tinyurl.com/5w7epn) but it's loud as hell. I'm moving to a new apartment building where I'll need something quieter.

I was excited about DeWalt's 14" multicutter (Link: http://tinyurl.com/6dybpz) but unfortunately I just found out that it's incredibly loud too.

Does anyone have any creative suggestions? The machine will be used to rough cut 6061 aluminum and will incur light usage (i.e. only a few pieces per month).

I really don't want to use a hand hack saw. I've thought about a pneumatic hacksaw, but am uncertain whether my 2CFM air compressor would support it.

The really nice thing about the DeWalt Multicutter is that it leaves a relatively-square, nicely finished cut (not imperative since the part will still be milling, but nice).

Perhaps I could DIY my own "multicutter" with a carbide saw blade and my own, quieter AC motor?

Budget is up to $750.
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Maybe you should just pick up an X2 mill, use it stock and mill but cut the stock. Take light cuts, but you will get a nice finish and it may not be all that loud.

However, why don't you go outside and cut?

-Jason

This is what I have at my home shop and it is exceptionally quiet.

Delta 28-276 Industrial 14 inch Band Saw with Open Stand, 3000 SFPM, 3/4 HP

(And it's a lot cheaper than I paid for it )

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post
    Maybe you should just pick up an X2 mill, use it stock and mill but cut the stock. Take light cuts, but you will get a nice finish and it may not be all that loud.

However, why don't you go outside and cut?

-Jason
    IMHO a mill is probably the worst way to cut up stock quickly and quietly - you need a bandsaw!

Quote Originally Posted by tikka308 View Post
    I've used my inexpensive grizzly bandsaw to rough-cut stock for the past year (link: http://tinyurl.com/5w7epn) but it's loud as hell. I'm moving to a new apartment building where I'll need something quieter.

I was excited about DeWalt's 14" multicutter (Link: http://tinyurl.com/6dybpz) but unfortunately I just found out that it's incredibly loud too.

Does anyone have any creative suggestions? The machine will be used to rough cut 6061 aluminum and will incur light usage (i.e. only a few pieces per month).

I really don't want to use a hand hack saw. I've thought about a pneumatic hacksaw, but am uncertain whether my 2CFM air compressor would support it.

The really nice thing about the DeWalt Multicutter is that it leaves a relatively-square, nicely finished cut (not imperative since the part will still be milling, but nice).

Perhaps I could DIY my own "multicutter" with a carbide saw blade and my own, quieter AC motor?

Budget is up to $750.
    How quiet does it need to be? I have a Jet 6"x4" bandsaw that claims to be 66dB - I should actually measure it as I have a sound meter, but it's quiet enough cutting aluminium to not have to shout to talk over it. It wasn't cheap, but it is probably the most important tool in my workshop - every part starts with a saw cut!

But in a better world...

...this would be affordable to all of us:

http://www.dakecorp.com/cold-saws.html

http://www.maxisaw.com/

unless of course one can be built in a homeshop (wink, wink...nudge, nudge)
    "Are you gonna eat that?"

Try using a plywood table on top of your metal table of your bandsaw, it might absorb the some of the sound.

Speeds - I can't go outside and cut because I live on the Upper East Side in Manhattan! Not to mention, I do my best to keep my hobby "invisible" to my landlord/neighbors. I'm not breaking any rules, but I can't imagine they would love the fact that I run a CNC Mill in my apartment (albeit only a TAIG).

Pinman & Digits - thanks for the suggestion! Perhaps I've just been tainted on my small, cheap, crappy & noisy grizzy band saw. I'll have to look into a delta (perhaps a smaller unit, as I'm quite limited on space). I'm sure 66db would be fine.

If your only cutting AL, then I would recommend a wood bandsaw. They have a higher sfpm and are better suited to cut AL speed wise. Just make sure you find out what bearings it uses first. Or fabricate some covers for the bearings that are on them and a Wiper.

This bandsaw here is a standup unit but can cut the material much better. See the bandsaw here.

Or, if space is a major concern, you could go with a benchtop Band saw like this one. This will work to cut the AL well, but will tend to cut off center if you force it to fast. That is with any saw though.

As much as I liked the 4x6 horizontal saw that I had, it is really to slow for larger materials. And intolerable on AL. I went through a few blades when it gummed up and snapped the blade. It causes lots of heat when your trying to power through the stock with the horizontal and it kills the blade.

I had used my 4x6 horizontal and a little Benchtop 9" ryobi for a long time. Until I started trying to cut larger block stock. Then I decided I needed to move up to something that would handle the job.

I ended up getting 2 new bandsaws, one that would handle both wood and metal, then the horizontal for larger, longer stock.

They are here
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0621
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-1-...-Bandsaw/G4030

If you are cutting any kind of steel, get a Horizontal and a good blade and you will be much happier. Then get a small benchtop saw for small AL stock. You will be limited to about 4" high though through the throat on most of these. The taller the stock, the slower the feed.

As for the noise, I can only recommend getting out of the apartments and get a house. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but there are many things that apartments cause you to loose out on. Yes, a house is more expensive. And if your renting, I'm sure it is more so in your area.

The problem is that your wanting to do things in a place that isn't really designed for what you want to do. It's like saying I want to add a swimming pool to the second bedroom in your apartment. We all know that won't work very well and may destroy the place. Likewise, with all of the tooling you have, you will be destroying the peace.

With apartments, you are limited in so many ways. Parking, room, utilities (On Some), etc, etc. I know, I've been there. But I will never go back to that.

I don't know if there is a place there, But I know one guy that rented out a storage building per month that had power and lights in it. He set up shop in it and that is where he worked on projects until his house was re-built. There may be rules against that in your area though, so check first.

cjdavis618 - Many thanks for your thorough post!

Just an FYI re: the apartment - I live in Manhattan (NYC) and if I were to buy the apartment that I rent, it would cost about $900,000. In this current environment (still overprice), that's a poor use of capital, so I simply have to make-do with my rental. My job (which supports my milling hobby!) requires that I live in NYC, hence why I can't get a suburban house. I've looked into storage units/basements to work in, but haven't had any luck so far.

If I lived in a suburban home, I would have a Haas VF-2 instead of my TAIG

That Hitachi looks great! Do you have any experience with it? I just want to make sure it's motor is reasonable quiet (i.e. not much louder than a TV or vocal-levels).

No problem. I just don't like limits.

As for the motor on the small benchtop, the Ryobi 9" that I used was very quiet. But when you put the metal to it, it would rattle a bit since it was mostly plastic. That being said, it is small enough that you could build a small enclosure around it and keep the sound level low. And would make for easier clean up.

I can only recommend going to a home store and having them turn one on and listen to it. I haven't used the Hitachi, but their tools get high reviews and actually have a little mass to them as opposed to the Ryobi I had. You can get non-ferrous metal blades for the Ryobi. I got my setup at a home Depot.

If you have a common size stock, I would be glad to show you the difference in speed of cut between the saws that I have now. To give you an idea what the difference is in speed. The saw size has little to do with it, other than the Surface feet per minute of the blade.

I would certainly agree that a house is preferable for this hobby but with the US and UK housing markets in free fall, I've given up on buying one this year.

Given that you are in an appartement, the way I look at it is that I try not to exceed the noise profile of all the things your neighbours expect you to have in your appartment and to only use them at reasonable hours.

So, that gives you ten minutes of very nasty noise (80dB+) about once a week - like vaccuum cleaner would produce, and longer periods of lower level noise/vibration similar to a washing machine. My mill sits on vibration dampers in a flood coolant enclosure which I have lined with soundproofing materials, and is practically inaudible when drilling and about ~65dB outside the enclosure when milling. So, if you have the room, you could always put your saw in a sound-proof plywood box - I'm guessing you don't have 30ft 6x4" bars of 6061 to cut up in your appartment

Digits - Unfortunately, I'm using my TAIG mill in my tiny apartment to mill solid block aluminum 5 liter V8 engines from scratch for formula-series racing cars. Your suggestion to limit my cutting dimensions are totally inadequate.

J/K I probably shouldn't post this thread, for fear that someone will actually think that someone is milling engines on a TAIG.

I think the sound proofing idea is a great idea. Would love to see pictures of your setup! I also agree with your logic re: limited amounts of sound a few times per month.

I'll definitely post pictures of my new room once I complete the move. FYI: here's my current setup: http://tinyurl.com/65ua4j

Mine are only 20 ft.

I think he can pull it off with the benchtop without a problem. You can always turn on the vacuum while cutting. lol...

CJ - I've done that! I'll run the vacuum or have my fiancee blow-dry her hair. Makes it sound much more innocuous

Smile Have a look at one of these.

They are low speed and due to solid construction very accurate and make not too much noise.
    http://www.brobo-usa.com/machines.cfm
    With a fine blade they are really good. Have a look at one and get a demo.

A band saw is probably your best bet. Most of the noise is not from the turning of the machine but from the blade. I use a multi-speed Wilton 14" band saw to cut all types of metals from aluminum to stainless. The proper speed and feed and the right blade makes all the difference. There are specific blades for non ferrous metals that cut fast and relatively quiet.

Bill

Neil - those are $3000+! I have a generous budget, but not that much!

To all: I should probably clarify: my current cheapo-band saw (see: http://tinyurl.com/5w7epn) is too loud - but it's the motor that is too loud (sounds like a shop-vac, only twice as loud), not the band-saw cutting noise. So I think all that I need to do is find a smaller, high-quality band saw which has a normal/quiet motor.

I think the problem with the one you have is that being portable they have chosen a high rpm motor in order to get the necessary hp from a physically small motor. Hence all the noise is from the motor/fan. I just found one on the net rated at 13,000 rpm!

I have a small, portable metal cutting horizontal band-saw that has a regular AC induction motor rated at 1500 rpm. When running you can hardly hear the motor or fan, just the cutting action, which on a light set cut is not much more than a human operated hacksaw.

I don't have access to my machine at the moment and all those I can currently find on the net are the dreaded high-speed motors.

However I think the key is a small band-saw with an AC induction motor. I think you will get a reasonable quality one in the USA for 300 or 400 USD.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by tikka308 View Post
    Neil - those are $3000+! I have a generous budget, but not that much!

To all: I should probably clarify: my current cheapo-band saw (see: http://tinyurl.com/5w7epn) is too loud - but it's the motor that is too loud (sounds like a shop-vac, only twice as loud), not the band-saw cutting noise. So I think all that I need to do is find a smaller, high-quality band saw which has a normal/quiet motor.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    I think the problem with the one you have is that being portable they have chosen a high rpm motor in order to get the necessary hp from a physically small motor. Hence all the noise is from the motor/fan. I just found one on the net rated at 13,000 rpm!

I have a small, portable metal cutting horizontal band-saw that has a regular AC induction motor rated at 1500 rpm. When running you can hardly hear the motor or fan, just the cutting action, which on a light set cut is not much more than a human operated hacksaw.

I don't have access to my machine at the moment and all those I can currently find on the net are the dreaded high-speed motors.

However I think the key is a small band-saw with an AC induction motor. I think you will get a reasonable quality one in the USA for 300 or 400 USD.

Phil
    I think Phil's hit the nail on the head - my quietish bandsaw uses a 4-pole, 1430 1/2HP motor. I actually think it is quieter than I am with a hacksaw, simply because there's no backstroke.

Page 1 of 2 12