587,104 active members*
4,453 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Softlimit warning after 1 tool change

When I go to change my tool from the first one, or second one technically, I get a softlimits warning using the tool offsets function in mach. My initial tool is an electronic edge finder that I use to set zero. The next tool is a 1/2 endmill and that goes where it is supposed to and that is the first tool I actually use. The third tool or second tool in operation just gives me a softlimit warning, but if I manually zero it it works fine. I had read a mention of having to cancel the prior tool offset before calling for the next tool change but am unsure what to do. Thank you

Attached is the gcode
    Attached Files Attached Files

It is a little bit difficult to know exactly where the problem is by looking only at the program. This is because setting length offsets is done outside of the program, in the course of setting up the job.

Where is machine home relative to the part home (zero)?

What do you actually have set for your length offsets? Is the sign of the values correct?

Softlimit warnings in general, occur before the next movement is made which will send the tool outside of the machine envelope set in the soft limit parameters.

If the machine is not homed properly after power up, then the softlimits can be way out of wack because the machine position was not properly verified. For example, in a machine that does not retain (store) its current position before the power is shut off, the power up position will most likely be zero in all axis and the softlimits will be determined relative to that position.

One way to cancel a tool length offset on many machines is to call H0 for a length offset. But, there is also a gcode available on some machines to perform this function.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Okay, well the machine is homed each time I start. In this case the softlimit warning is for the z axis. All of the offsets are stored in Mach using its offset system and then the program calls the correct tool. I dont know the exact number, but tool 4 is shorter than tool 3. So is there another method to cancel the offsets available to Mach, and if not, how do you use the H0. Do you just place it before the M6 (which is tool change right?). If you would give me an example it would be appreciated. Thank you Hu

I would suggest that you can insert
    H0
    on a line before your tool change is called, perhaps as the tool is sent home for the change.
    You could also try using G49 for the same effect.

I'm surprised that Mach would require an actual cancellation of the length offset. Most cncs allow a new length offset to overwrite the current offset without an intermediate cancellation. That may be a parameter setting though.

In reviewing your program again, I see that you have not called a work offset (such as G54). So this would mean that you are working in the machine coordinate system, which is G53.

So most likely, Z0 in G53 is very near the top of the machine stroke, and moves in the positive direction could run into overtravel. Maybe attend to this problem first before you worry about cancelling length offsets.

What reference plane or gauge are you setting your length offsets to?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post

In reviewing your program again, I see that you have not called a work offset (such as G54). So this would mean that you are working in the machine coordinate system, which is G53.
    Hu, Mach3 uses G54 as the default coordinate system.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Well, I tried it with a g49 right before the tool change, and that seemed to do the trick. It still gave me a warning right before I ran the program, but it ran through just fine.