587,933 active members*
3,823 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VM2 Power up problem

2012 VM 2
    So here is a new one. Fired up no problem I run a warmup every day it lasts about 10 min or so. So while it is running I am at another machine editing a program.
    I look over and see it is at the position where the program would have ended..but the machine is powered down.
    I thought that the "1 hour with no activity" deal had kicked in, but I heard no beep beep countdown that it would have done.

Would not turn back on. So flip breaker off then on. Now it will turn on but no screen..no buttons work except the on off . The handle jog screen is lit up and does not shut off.

Checked both fuses with meter..good
    There is a pass fail light it is on
    +12V light on
    -12V light on
    +5V OFF
    So I pull the panel off and don't see anything obvious. What would the +5V light being off indicate?
    Crap
    Gary

Re: VM2 Power up problem

Ok so I am checking the board that shows a +5V post for..well +5Volts. Nothing so shut off and then I notice several other places that show +5V.
    So back around to the front for start up and when I hit power on I hear a pop. I figured by the time I got to the back some magic smoke would be flowing out. None and now it has +5volts and everything is fine..:tired:
    When you have the back door open and do a start up everything is louder but I swear I heard a pop.
    Anyhoo must be a back connection in the low voltage supply. I found it on the semantic but not sure which one it is. I will post a picture for someone to point out if I need to.
    Gary

I turned off all the power saving features in our 2012 VF2s. The screens would shut off after staying idle during lunch and randomly they wouldn't power back on. I concluded it was a bug in the control.

Turned off all power save features and haven't had a problem since.