587,686 active members*
3,642 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Hand tapping

Hand tapping

So I've been struggling with a good tapping solution for a bit now. I've just been using a T-handle and hand tapping the holes I need, which waiting on the 1100. I can't justify the expense of a tapping head. After somebody here pointed me towards a hand tapping jig, I found and bought this one from Grizzly. G8748 Hand Tapping Machine

This thing is amazing. It is a precision tool, with a great counter balance to keep the head floating and not crashing into your part. I am just amazed at how well it works. Now I don't have to hate tapping so much while waiting on the next op on the tormach. For $90, I happy. Thanks to whoever pointed this out to me originally!

Now, if you haven't already, buy yourself an assortment of spiral point (NOT spiral flute) taps, often called "gun taps". They work about 1000X better then standard plug taps, for no more money - they cut easier with less torque, last longer, don't clog as easily (because they push the chips ahead of the tap, instead of back up the flutes), and are MUCH better at self-aligning to the hole.

Regards,
    Ray L.

+1 gun taps and a small cordless drill works great for me.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm using thread rolling taps primarily. Most my tapping is blind 10-24 holes in 6061, and I love not having any chips!

Everyone's needs appear to be different. I had originally intended to point out that Maritool has a reasonably priced ER Floating Tap Tool Holders (e.g. C3/4-TER20) just in case someone hadn't noticed. Then, purely by chance I stumbled on the Tormach "32021 - TTS-ER20 Tension/Compression Tapping Head" which looks very similar to the Maritool version but is also TTS compatible and less expensive!!! I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone says "you get EXACTLY what you pay for"
    How long have they been available?
    Tormach has a "New Products" page but there's no mention of them on there. There's no mention of the new Flycutter or the ATC compatible TTS adapter either.
    What else have I missed? Maybe we should start a thread covering new Tormach products!
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Everyone's needs appear to be different. I had originally intended to point out that Maritool has a reasonably priced ER Floating Tap Tool Holders (e.g. C3/4-TER20) just in case someone hadn't noticed. Then, purely by chance I stumbled on the Tormach "32021 - TTS-ER20 Tension/Compression Tapping Head" which looks very similar to the Maritool version but is also TTS compatible and less expensive!!! I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone says "you get EXACTLY what you pay for"
    Tormach has a "New Products" page but there's no mention of them on there. There's no mention of the new Flycutter or the ATC compatible TTS adapter either.
    What else have I missed? Maybe we should start a thread covering new Tormach products!
    Step
    Turbostep
    I have had the tension /compression tapping head for over twelve months, perhaps you have missed something?
    Will

Will, that's exactly the point! When I ordered my machine I'm (quite) sure that I'd been all over the Tormach site. I seriously considered the buying "Modular Tension/Compression Collet Chuck" but decided it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I'd be very surprised if the ER type holders were available back then - I'm sure someone will now prove me wrong! I Since purchasing I've obviously been busy doing other things but I do still go back to the site regularly. I've never seen this head until today. Some items get featured in "Milling Around" but others just seem (to me at least) to just appear somewhere like "32432 - TTS Tool Conversion Kit".
    As you said "perhaps you have missed something?", well I'm sure you're right. The question is, what else have I missed?
    Oops! getting well off topic again, sorry
    Step

I use spiral flute taps in a 12v Dewalt Impact, very fast, of course this isn't for accuracy... I do use it for 90% of tapping though.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    So I've been struggling with a good tapping solution for a bit now. I've just been using a T-handle and hand tapping the holes I need, which waiting on the 1100. I can't justify the expense of a tapping head. After somebody here pointed me towards a hand tapping jig, I found and bought this one from Grizzly. G8748 Hand Tapping Machine

This thing is amazing. It is a precision tool, with a great counter balance to keep the head floating and not crashing into your part. I am just amazed at how well it works. Now I don't have to hate tapping so much while waiting on the next op on the tormach. For $90, I happy. Thanks to whoever pointed this out to me originally!
    That would be me, glad it worked out for you. The next step is to toss the handle and make a small adapter to mount a drill. I use a standard 110vt cheap one that I just leave on the tapper. The thing you want to look for is a drill that has the forward/reverse switch in a easy location for quick reversal.
    I've used mine for probably over 20 years. It's the quickest way I've found to tap small parts. No vise or clamping of the part involved.
    I do have (and use) both a Procunier-style and a tension/compression head on both my Bridgeports and the PCNC1100s for any larger items. I do like the Procunier better.
    And +1 on the spiral point taps. Go with a good brand, use tapping fluid, and they'll a very long time in softer parts - 6061, 12L14, and 303 stainless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hand tapper with drill.jpg  

What has worked well for me in hand tapping with a T handle tap holder on my Tormach has been a has been a Fisher Micro Tap Guide. Tap Guide - LittleMachineShop.com

I have one mounted in a TTS ½” set screw holder.

Don

It's really neat how many different ways people have for doing stuff. I can clearly see why Don's method works best for a part like is in his picture. I can see how a power drive situation works well for larger holes and operators who aren't noobies (I got some young-uns working for me who don't QUITE have the feel for when not to overdrive a tap!).

Turbo- I just looked, and they have changed the tapping lineup at Tormach since I last checked. I never remember seeing the ER or the quick change collets.

Wog- Thanks for the info. I'm wondering... Can I use a electric drill with a torque setting, to make sure said employee don't overdrive into blind hole?

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    I'm wondering... Can I use a electric drill with a torque setting, to make sure said employee don't overdrive into blind hole?
    Good question, and I've never tried. So I changed the drill to a 18vt cordless DeWalt. Worked fine for a 1/4-20 bottoming tap in a 13/64" hole in 6061. Started with a low torque and ended up using #9 out of 17.
    I can't tell from the picture of the Grizzly model, but my old Enco has an adjustable "stop" screw on top of the column. It would be worth it to adapt that screw to the height needed to force a stop at the correct depth. If yours doesn't, easy enough to drill and tap your own.
    Let me know if you need a picture.

Neato. I'll try it out Monday. Yes, the grizzly model does have the stop ring. Good idea!

We have a version of the Grizzly tapping fixture here at work. It's great but for small taps, I couldn't really "feel" what was going on. For my side business, I make wheels that require 6 M2.5 holes each, so I got this from Micro-Mark. It can't do big taps well, but is excellent with smaller M2.5 and M3 holes. The machines compliment each other well:

MicroLux Tapping Fixture

Step
    I've used the 32021 tapping head and it worked quite well for #4-40 holes with an old spiral point tap in aluminum doing ~3/8" though holes. I've successfuly tried up to 3/8-16 or 1/2-12 tapped holes, too. That one's only been on the market for a few months at most.

Mike

Some parts I've had in the past required a tap longer than what Balax offers. We finished the parts off with a hand drill and normal hand tap. Yes, you can set the drill to a lower torque setting for blind holes, works great.

Tormach has a "New Products" page ...
    Not anymore! That's a pity
    Step