Hello all..

I am a total newbie..

I would like some direction.. I am interested in building/buying a small CNC router table ( I believe that is what I need ) .. This is all very new to me.. but I am facinated by the possibilities...

Needs/Wants:

I need the ability to cut, drill , etch up to 1/8" aluminum, lexan and acryllic

My hobby is extreme computer modding.. and creation I will use the tool to cut custom pieces in aluminum, and acryllic.. to create water cooling parts and decorative front panels for the cases.. although I am not creating surgical equipment.. I would like some level of accuracy..

From the wealth of information and photos here.. I have decided that a 24 x 24 table would be a good size for my needs..

I know budget is a concern.. and I have no real world idea of what this little project would cost.. I have alloted around 1500.00 ( US) give or take..

here are the questions..

1.) Is a CNC router table what I need..

2.) Is this dollar figure realistic..?

3.) Would I be better off buying a " kit" or plan to build this..

4.) How and where do I get started..

5.) do I need separate machines to cut the product and another to drill or shape holes ..?

I know these may sound like dumb questions.. but with all of the information here I have gotten a bit confused..

I have no experience in CNC machining at all.. I have a small Engineering background ( college ) ..I am good with my hands and most all tools..

here are the tools that I have at home to utilize

Most all common hand tools
complete tap and die tools
drill press
table saw
small routing table
Mig/Tig welder with argon capabilities 120 volt 80 amp miller

and a garage that has been cleaned out.. and is ready for a new project.. lol

I have been designing the various parts in cad.. and paying a local plastics company HUGE amounts of money to do the cutting for me..

I have signed up at the local college for night classes in the programming side of this..

eventually I would like to make and use a router table.. and a lathe..

I need some direction..

thanks guys..