587,485 active members*
3,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angle with radius

I have a part with an OD and an angle down to another OD. At the intersection of the OD and the angle there is a callout for a radius. I want to check the length of the angle using the theroetical sharp corner but my QC Manager checks it differently. I was wondering if anyone knows of a standard that specifies how to check angle lenghts?

how did he check it? wit comparitor, CMM or eyeball it with mic? I worked with few small shop and they just eyeball it, I don't like it 'cause it judgement and can prove them that's not the way.......... I left, can't take the heat, one time he said it's fine and next time he said it not ...... program and tool is exactly the same.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Checking it

The way I want to check it is....Line up crosshairs on OD rotate crosshairs to angle the line them up on the angle. He actually lines up the radius crosshairs on the radius then goes to end of part. I tried to tell him that the angle really moves the center of the radius and he's getting a false reading but he will have no part of that. I just keep hearing " thats how we've always run them" grrrrrrr

Angle with radius

Your doing it the right way your QC guy is in the wrong dept. :argue:

I don't know what to said but.

Trick: draw part in any CAD and refine print preference, print it out to the correct to your comparator magnitude. Then match your part with that one, you will be amaze how accurate it is ( good enought part with +/-.002).
    The best way to learn is trial error.

your doing it the right way how ever is there a specific call out on the length of the angled line BETWEEN the 2 rads? or does the print show each intersect point of angle and ODs?

Sometimes a print will say angle length must be xxx amount but if has no callout and your using just the standard break rads/chamfers as called in the print then your fine.

The print shows lenghts to the start and the end of the angle. I'm interprating the radii as simply corner breaks.

thats were it gets tricky with inspectors, listen to your inspector as he is the one buying the parts for your company. Technically your both right.

Better yet have your inspector/owner call the company and get a detailed explaination,
    I figured it was a corner break thing as we have had that problem in the past as well,
    lots of people in years past never put corner breaks on blending angles, when CNCS started to get used heavy along with cadcam systems it became very easy to do and saved lots of deburr time.
    Most guys programming can't do the trig in there heads to put a corner rad on a angled piece so it was very rarely done. now with the cadcam systems out and lots of people relying on them its commonly used.

I think corner breaks on every intersection unless its is stated otherwise is a very smart idea, makes less debur work and the parts look 100 times better.